Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time for ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've smoked pork ribs a couple of times in my BGE but have yet to find the right mix of temperature and cooking time. In each instance, I've smoked four or five racks at a time at a cooking temperature of approximately 200 degrees for approximately five hours. The ribs taste really good, but the meat remains firm and doesn't have that "fall of the bone" tenderness. I'm not sure if I'm overcooking or undercooking the ribs. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Ribquest,Are you looking for "fall off the bone" or are you looking for "Pull off the bone"
    Every time I have had "fall off the bone" they have tasted a tad mushy for my liking....[p]I would bump the temp up to 225º to 250º, you might find that a bit more to your liking......[p]Mop~[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Ribquest, great handle BTW. You did not mention if you were cooking direct or indirect. Like Mop says, you need to kick up your cookin temps a bit. When cooking indirect, your cooking level temps are lower than the temp in the top of your dome. You are probably cooking at 185-190 at best. [p]If going indirect, I use a minimum of 250 dome. [p]JJ's direct method is great, and even then you need at least 225 to get anywhere. Your ribs are definitely underdone.[p]Orio kid was in your shoes 2 weeks ago...now he is cooking some killer ribs!
    Hang in there.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset27.jpg
    <p />Ribquest,[p]Ribs are enjoyed in different ways by folks differently. Some like them this way and some that way. It sounds like you had them undercooked or you want the less firm meat type of fall of the bone ribs. Those can be gotten by using a method like the 3-1.5-1 method. This is 3 hrs indirect at 275-300 then 1.5 hr in foil and indirect and then 1 hr direct over the fire at 225-250 deg. The last hr firms the meat up as it cooks so you can get really tender (steamed) ribs if you do them 2 hr in foil and then 30 min direct. It would be 3-2-.5. [p]Also, next time you do them like you have, check the meat temp between the bones in a meaty area. If its not 180 or more, you will probably get a tought rib. I try to shoot for 190.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE cookbook and stuff[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dang Tim, We almost collided! Haven't heard from you in a while. hope all is well.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    Options
    Ribquest, I just finished a batch that I did indirect, around 3 hrs right around 280. I cooked them a little hot as I had to feed the kids before bed time (nice of me isn't it!) but they were as Mop would describe "Pull off the bone". I would not want them done any more.[p]GJ[p]
  • Ribquest,
    Do the Tim M method. I've done them three times and every time the people I've served them to say they are the best they have ever had. You won't be sorry and I won't make them any other way.