Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower Band riding up

Options
Can someone please tell me the best way to correct this issue? Lower band is extending above the gasket line about a 1/8” in the front and receding about the same in the rear.  I know one of the Eggineers  on here should know how to remedy this in an quick & effective manner. Thanks in advance.
Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Loosen the single bolt in the back for the lower band and adjust. Tighten it back up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    better do it soon, that weight of the lid can pull it more and more until the lid goes backwards and crashes on the floor
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you need to tighten the bands more.  rest them and don't be afraid to bend the bolts, as you tighten them.  only with cold egg.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I loosened the bolt on the lower band and got the front to back adjusted, but now it's uneven on left and right.  I have a nest handler so not sure if this is hampering what should be an easy adjustment so I'll try removing from where it connects to lower band and see if that helps...it'll either work or it won't.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Disconnected Nest Handler from Lower Bracket and adjustment was much easier...locked down bolts so good to go.  Thanks @Photo Egg   @PSC and @tjv
  • YourRubClub
    Options

Tightening the hardware does make a difference. Make sure to try the paper test after you have made adjustments to confirm the seal is good.

If the problem persist, reach out to EGG for a warranty replacement. The band kit has a 5 year warranty.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    If its anything like mine it will happen again and again. Got new style bands coming and will try them soon. Hopefully this works, been a real pain 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    poster said:
    If its anything like mine it will happen again and again. Got new style bands coming and will try them soon. Hopefully this works, been a real pain 
    My Eggs a little over a year old, when did the new bands get put into market?
  • SSQUAL612
    Options

Tightening the hardware does make a difference. Make sure to try the paper test after you have made adjustments to confirm the seal is good.

If the problem persist, reach out to EGG for a warranty replacement. The band kit has a 5 year warranty.

Welcome to the Forum!  Thanks...It wasn't so much a seal problem as the lower band was rising up so needed adjusting, but I'll do the $1 bill test tomorrow.  
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    poster said:
    My Eggs a little over a year old, when did the new bands get put into market?
    Think some of the ones being sold now still have the old bands depending on when the stock was ordered. New ones have tabs on the upper band. First new ones started popping up last winter/spring i think