Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you really need to cover the Egg

I see the egg covers for sale.  I wonder if they are really needed.  I am in Wisconsin so our winters are not particularly easy but..... to what advantage?
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    I am in the South and do not. I've heard some reports that due to our humidity down here covering is actually worse.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Michigan.  No Cover.  Exposed.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2017
    Not needed IMO. I bought one 8 years ago. Used it a couple of times here in New England, then put it away. Sometimes I don't even use the built in cover!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Sometimes it freezes shut. I hate that.

The bands and hardware could rust I imagine.

Protects a wooden table from the elements.

Much easier to deal with when you get ice, or snow melt and refreshes to ice.

• jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Does your car need a garage?  Sun will fade it, sap will fall on it, metal will rust faster, but it will cook the same.  I keep mine under a carport so don't need a cover but would get something if always left out in the elements.  I would not pay the price BGE charges but would get a universal one for about $20
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    I live in MN and have one for both eggs.  In the summer I don't use the covers most of the time, but do like them in the winter just to keep the snow off.  They are overpriced but I can say they are heading into their 4th winter and still do their job.  Plus they tend to hold their shape in the cold ...

Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
     Nope. It’s just a way to make a few bucks off of the OCD crowd. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    There is absolutely no reason to not cover your egg. If you are worried about mold then open it up for a few hours 2-3 a month.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    I have never paid $1000 for anything that I didn't find a cover or shelter for.  OCD - maybe but I work to hard for my money to know I haven't taken the best of care of the things I have purchased.  But then I didn't pay for anyone else's egg either....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I used a cover until I pulled the cover off along with the nice sized wasp nest. Not a fun afternoon. 
  • Yes, I need to cover mine because it's in a table and this way it always looks like new.
    tarps of all sizes are cheap at harbor freight and you can use an additional 20% off with the coupon. Mine cost 13$ and change plus it's grey and matches the house
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited November 2017
    It is not necessary unless you  desire to take extra good care of it and it is not in a covered area , then it is a good idea. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • I don't in NC. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    for me it is in the same area as the infamous "clean burn", no real need for it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I bought a Weber Kettle Cover at HD to cover mine.  I live in Austin and it sits on my patio- sun here kills everything in time.  Whats interesting is in the summer the black cover sitting in the sun- my egg may be well over 150 dome before I ever light it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • I keep my eggs in the garage but if they were outside they'd be covered for sure.  Everything gets coated with tree sap and bombed by birds at my place.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Be careful if your egg is covered and the ceramic cap is loose  :o
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the stock gasket will freeze it shut with a cover or not. i just peel the gasket off but rrp's rutland gasket does not seem to freeze up. i could see a cover freezing solid to my maine egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    I was raised like RRP, can hear my grandpa now.  :)
    Mine get covered with the BGE covers from Dec-March here in IL, WSM cover for the small egg.
    All eggs have the Weber Q lights, two have India Rosewood handles, I feel better keeping them covered, and it takes a couple of seconds to remove and/or replace, no freezing together shut.    

I cover my AC unit, camper too, that's from my Dad.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2017
    Woodchunk said:
    Yes, I need to cover mine because it's in a table and this way it always looks like new.
    tarps of all sizes are cheap at harbor freight and you can use an additional 20% off with the coupon. Mine cost 13$ and change plus it's grey and matches the house
    Those are great tarps for the price, use a couple for wood stacks.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    No. I bought the BGE cover when I bought my XL. Used it for a bit, then it got annoying to remember to cover it after it had cooled, so I didn't. Then I bought a Blackstone pizza oven and used the XL cover for that. Not too long ago, the cover was pretty much worth to nothing and I bought a Blackstone cover for the pizza oven and tossed the BGE XL cover in the trash.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I’m in Michigan, so I love snow. I don’t love dealing with a foot of snow on the egg table. If it were just in a nest I wouldn’t bother.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Mine are covered with pollen in the spring, dust in the summer and water fall and winter. 
  • Overall it kind of sounds like a "no".

Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Mine is covered. Something about the anal retentive gene, I guess. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

I guess I’m in the minority, I cover both of my eggs as well as my table. It might be my OCD.  But I’ll wipe them down to get the pollen off them, and cover them when not in use. 

I do this for the same reason I wash and wax my car.  To keep them looking good and like new. 

And yeah, I’ve said it before and will say it again.  I drink the kool aid and love my BGE’s!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I tarp my eggs and tables when were getting snow. Makes it e-z to uncover after I run around with the snow blower. I got a thing about cooking in really crappy winter weather. Worse it is, more I want to use the eggs. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2017
    Someone above mentioned tree sap and bird droppings. If I had those issues, I might consider a cover, though I suspect it might be easier to clean the egg than the cover. Pine sap would be a tough call.

If I had it in a table, I'd probably keep it covered. The egg won't care, but the wood finish would hold up longer.

Then again, I kind of like unfinished, weathered, rustic lookin' stuff. =) No desire to have my egg "in" a table, but I would be happy with a table like one of these parked next to my nested egg...
    Image result for weathered outdoor wooden table

Image result for weathered outdoor wooden table

Or even... :rofl:
    Related image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut