Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey parts timing?

Well, Thanksgiving is just about upon us. In an unusual turn of events, we’re hosting this year. So, I’m after some advice. I’m not doing a whole turkey, instead opting for doing 3 split breasts, a couple of legs and a couple of thighs. In my trial runs, with the breasts, they’ve come out perfect. My question is about timing.

I’ve got a large egg, and will be running at about 300F, with a bit of hickory smoke added. I’ve read that one should start breast first, then add legs and finally add thighs last. It makes sense, given the varied mass of the different parts. Anyone got any advice as to time gaps between when to add the various parts?

Comments

• Chirp chirp..

If it helps, I picked up the breast today. Found a netted pair of deboned breasts that's totaled out at 5.34 lb. Will do just that one monster and a couple of legs and thighs.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im thinking the legs and breasts will be pretty close in timing, close enough that they will finish within 15 minutes of one another and resting the breasts a little wont hurt while the legs finish up if needed. never cooked thighs before
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    deboned 5 lb breast and some random parts? maybe throw the breast on, then throw the parts on 30-60 minutes later.  really the key is pulling stuff off when it's done, ie breast at 155, legs/thighs 175-180, or whatever your taste is. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle