Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey, dressing verse stuffing

Options

have never been able to make dressing taste as good as stuffing so will continue to stuff as usual. safety be damned =)  then theres the unsafe practice of rinsing the bird, please tell, who risks their families lives and rinses the bird but wont stuff it =)
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Stuffing!  Stuffing!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I rinse the bird but don't stuff as I haven't figured out how with the spatchcock process.  ;)
    Edit:  If going traditional (not spatch) I fill the cavity with aromatics-not stuffing.  Not sure where I fall in your poll data.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I rinse the bird but don't stuff as I haven't figured out how with the spatchcock process.  ;)
    Edit:  If going traditional (not spatch) I fill the cavity with aromatics-not stuffing.  Not sure where I fall in your poll data.  
    its easy, youre in the unsafe wash/rinse group ;) i need the stuffing and the gravy, could actually skip the turkey on the plate. usually do aromatics with the egged bird and a stuffed oven bird for tday, small group this year so it looks like an oven roasted stuffed bird only this year
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cooked a whole turkey twice. Ever. First one, long ago, was pre-egg on my old Weber kettle. Wife had all sides done and ready to serve. Bird was not even close to done. We had to cut it up and nuke it. =) Over the years, I kept offering to try again, but was always politely refused.

Second was in Mom's oven 3-4 years ago. Mad Max except no egg. Came out great!

Mom used to stuff a bird and no one ever died. Wife just used Stovetop (which I much preferred over Mom's). None of us ever rinsed the bird. =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I grew up with stuffing.  Ever since I've been married its Cornbread dressing.  I like both.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jcostom
    Options
    Never stuff. Brine, rinse, dry, cook. Stuffing doesn't get stuffed. Who wants to eat someone that's been lounging around in a cavity with salmonella?  Surely not this guy.

I'll still call it stuffing, but it probably more meets the definition of "dressing".

Besides, this year, we're doing parts (monster pair of deboned breasts netted together, plus some drums & thighs) anyhow, so nowhere to stuff anything...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    Cooked a whole turkey twice. Ever. First one, long ago, was pre-egg on my old Weber kettle. Wife had all sides done and ready to serve. Bird was not even close to done. We had to cut it up and nuke it. =) Over the years, I kept offering to try again, but was always politely refused.

Second was in Mom's oven 3-4 years ago. Mad Max except no egg. Came out great!

Mom used to stuff a bird and no one ever died. Wife just used Stovetop (which I much preferred over Mom's). None of us ever rinsed the bird. =) 
    in college i used to punch out 20 birds between the fraternity house, catholic center, and university cafetaria for a family day each fall. then go home and listen to mom complain about all the work that goes into tday cooking one bird =) my sister took not washing to the extreme one year, the neck and giblets were still packed in the bag inside the cavity at serving time =)
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Dressing. Like the crunch on the edges. I spend two days making the broth so the flavor intensity is there. We usually have two, one traditional and one a little out there. The second is always something that someone brings.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    What is dressing? Anyway, we like a lot of stuffing, so we make it separately in a big batch and freeze wrapped in foil in 2 lb lumps.  Ready for the oven, like sausage based meatloaf.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited November 2017
    Options
    That is dressing. Stuffing is cooked inside of the bird.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No rinse, and dressing.  Like others, aromatics in the bird.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hate to think how long last year's 30 lb turkey would have taken if stuffed. Dinner would have been late.

Edit: Christmas, we don't have Thanksgiving. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
     Personally I prefer stove top stuffing =). So am I in the stuffing category, it’s in the name 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    So did mine, and we left the bird out after cooking for a LONG time before finally putting it in the fridge, and we never got sick.

But...
    1. She also used to cook turkeys longer, to a higher temp than I do, now, and the white meat was always drier as a result (sorry Mom).  And,
    2. You can do everything wrong and be fine most of the time.  It's just that it's not a small risk of catching a cold.  It's a small risk of puking and sh***ing your guts out for days to a week, and maybe even dying from that!  Nope, not me.
    So even though I LOVE stuffing, I no longer make it.  I've never made any kind of home-made stuffing as a dressing in a dish, but I'm thinking of trying it this year.  Like someone else above, I actually LIKE Stove-Top (the packaged mix), so it's gotta be possible to make home-made dressing that's even better than that.  Maybe not quite as good as real stuffing, but I am now convinced that the only way to cook the bird enough to be sure the stuffing is safe is to overcook the white meat.  Don't want to do that.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No stuffin or washing of bird here. I am actually doing a bone out 8-9 pound turkey breast for Thanksgiving. It comes in a foil wrap....that I cook it in for about half the time (1 hour), before opening up the foil for browning and some smoke. The foil traps the moisture and i get a supper moist bird. When finished and rested, I cut the turkey down the middle, turn each breast on its side.....and cut into nice slices. I am so over fighting with all the bones and chit. Call me lazy but I get some killa white meat (only) and 100% yield on what I purchase. Easy carve, clean up and no disposal (unless you count the foil). Left overs go for sammies and of course......Turkey taco's. 

As for the dressing (my favorite), I make a family favorite cornbread dressing which I have had every year now for I would say 58 years. I am assuming I didn't get it until i was prob 3 years old. All the best to you and yours. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you're gonna stuff it, make sure it's thawed out well.  And cook it slow. Or over-cook the bejesus out of it.