Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Atomic Buffalo Turds and Picahna

Hey all.  Just thought I would share a tasty cook I did this weekend, since it turned out really well.

I had a whole picahna (aka rump cap) so I dry brined it for a couple of days in the fridge and then coated it with a coffee/chipotle rub before cooking.  I wanted something fun to go with it and because I have never gotten around to making ABTs, I went out and got jalapenos, cream cheese, sharp white cheddar, some smokies, and bacon.  Mixed some rub into the cheese mixture, assembled, and got the Egg to 250.  Smoke came courtesy of some wild cherry chunks.

After about two hours, I put the picahna on a raised grill over the ABTs and it took about an hour to get to about 115/120 or so, depending where I poked.  Off came the ABTs and meat while I got the coals raging, then a quick sear and slice.  Sorry no pics of this stage, I was too busy inside.

Served up with some brined sweet mini-peppers and roasted broccoli (just oil, S&P and a splash of yuzu juice). I also made a quick chimmichurri (a bunch of parsley, oregano, garlic, all pulsed up with S&P and red chili flakes, and then added 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and 3/4 cup of good olive oil).  Very tasty!

Toronto ON

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    All looks perfect...Nice to see some ABTs cooked to where the bacon looks fully rendered. The Beef, the photos tell more than I could put into words! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    My wife and I are huge fans of ABTs and I must say that yours look great!  Nice cook.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Nailed that cook and all the groceries, especially that finish on the beef.  Most eggcellent.  
    Fork placement for the win.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Very nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bravo! I've been wanting to do picanha, but can't figure out what to tell the meat counter guy re: cut. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    caliking said:
    Bravo! I've been wanting to do picanha, but can't figure out what to tell the meat counter guy re: cut. 

I put together a Word file with photos a couple years ago from a post or link on this forum. I will email it to you. Below is the just of ordering from a butcher assuming they have a clue.

Restaurant Depot calls it Coulotte. Other places call it Top Sirloin Cap, Rump Cap, or Rump Cover. It is identified in the North American Meat Processors (NAMP) guide and Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications (IMPS) guide as #184D

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    Our Costco generally has these sirloin cap steaks in multipack vacuum bags.  They routinely carry choice and occasionally have prime.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    those abt's look absolutely amazing!
  • Great all around there...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Nice looking cook @Simcan
    Thanks for the info @Photo Egg

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Photo Egg thanks again for sending that.

@bgebrent the ones I've seen at my Costco were cut in house, fat cap removed. I'll check if they have the vac pack ones. Thanks for the tip. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Outstanding cook!. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Good looking cook!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Thanks, all.  I have no complaints, for sure, and will make both again. I have heard alot about the picahna and it did not disappoint.  Can't believe I waited this long to make ABTs as they were stupid easy to make, and delicious.  Also I like that they have so many varieties.  I read various methods but I definitely think the long slow indirect cook is the way to go for how it renders the bacon to make it grab on to the filling.
    Toronto ON
  • Photo Egg
    Simcan said:
    I definitely think the long slow indirect cook is the way to go for how it renders the bacon to make it grab on to the filling.
    It can be challenging to render the bacon fat and have a little crunch on the bacon as well as not over cook the pepper and make it mushy and not over cook the stuffing and have it bubble out of the pepper. As you cook them more and more with different ingredients you will see they are not always easy to cook. You did great! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas