Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Day Before Turkey???

Options
I always do the ham since we travel for the holidays and it is easy to reheat. I’ve been wanting to try the turkey. I saw a pioneer woman recipe where she spatched and roasted her turkey the day before and even sliced it up. The recipe said to add a bit of broth the next day and warm. Has anyone ever tried this with any success on the Egg?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I eat day after turkey that has been thru the process described above.  It's just fine.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I tried this 2yrs ago and had a totally opposite experience than @lousubcap.   I thought the broth washed all the taste that I worked hard from the turkey.  Maybe I did something wrong.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    Options
    This is what I do. Put a  cooling rack in the bottom of the roaster and put broth in to the top of the rack and then put the turkey on the rack and heat on low. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - I go quite light on the broth (if I use it at all) and as I mentioned, eating turkey the day after Thanksgiving (when the bird was cooked on Thurs) is the same time-frame.  I'm sure all have had turkey left-overs one day post cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.