Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Passwords - OT

I've got about 4 or 5 different go-to passwords for all of my accounts.  If one doesn't work I try another, and then another, and hope I don't get locked out before one works.   I realize this isn't the most secure method but it works for me...and to my knowledge, I haven't been hacked yet.  Does anybody have experience with a password manager?  How do they work?  Free/paid?  Easy to use?
Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• I keep a spreadsheet with my user names and passwords. All the passwords are a version of 1. My “code” tells me normal or one with normal and caps or with a symbol. That way I’m not putting my passwords down but I still know what it is. Seems a bit weird when I type it out but makes sense to me
  • It isn’t good when the computer with the password manager suddenly dies.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

My computer asks me if i want it to remember them.  I figure i won't, so i say sure.

Phoenix 
  • All of my passwords are just "password".  That way, I never forget what it is.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I use 1 Password on my mac/iphone/ipad. I love it. When at a login page, open 1 Password and login and click the appropriate page and it auto fills the information and opens the page. Very easy to use. It will auto save updated or new logins if needed. It has a lot of other features I dont use. Easy to setup and use, and syncs across all devices easily. Dont remember how much it costs, its a one time fee and not a monthly subscription.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    1234 always works :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    I use LastPass with 2-factor authentication (password + yubikey).  I have it generate passwords for each site.    I have no idea what most of my passwords are. 
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Password reuse is a huge problem in the wake of large breaches such as the Yahoo one. Third parties will simply try your compromised email address and password across other properties, often to great effect. While it is cumbersome, it's really ideal to have independent passwords across all of your accounts. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    If you don't "record" your password somewhere for (In Case of Emergency) purposes some family member will have a real challenge should you pass!  Just went through this with my sister.  I immediately came home and created a record of all passwords and provided this to my spousal unit.  Keep it updated!

On another note... I generally keep 2 sets of passwords... One for usage such as logging into forums/social media.  Simple easy to remember works great.  The latest findings have been that the "Microsoft" suggested 8 character password with characters/numbers/upper case /lower case can usually be haced within a matter of seconds.  If you're keeping a password for financial/private reasons consider using a phrase for that password such as "I love the Egghead Forum".  The password hacking software has a very hard time deciphering those types of passwords and you're probably not be hacked!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    I've had the same issue when a loved one passed. Therefore, I've set up a file with all my passwords on an external hard drive that's kept in a gun safe and updated. My kids know about the file.
    As far as the passwords for me to remember, I use a password protected document on my phone. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    All of my passwords are just "password".  That way, I never forget what it is.  

Isn't that how Podesta got "hacked"? 
  • onedbguru said:
    All of my passwords are just "password".  That way, I never forget what it is.  

Isn't that how Podesta got "hacked"? 
    Nope.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Guess I'm in the minority here. I have a different password for every site I frequent. They use random upper, lower cases, numbers, symbols and are all 9 to 10 characters long. No two are even close to another. There is no way to memorize them so I keep them in 3 places. One is in a locked vault, one in a book on the shelf and the 6 most frequently used I have on a list taped by my computer. I don't have a list anywhere in my computer such as a WORD file or anything that could be hacked. I don't trust a password manager for that very reason as well. Granted I don't have visitors nor do I ever use my devices on a public network - yes, I'm very cautious - even overly - but that's just me! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited November 2017
    For important sites I tend to have different passwords. And to me, "important sites" only add up to about a half dozen.

For most of the sites I visit that require a password I tend to just use the same password or three. I don't really care if someone wants to hijack an account on a cooking forum for instance.

I do use a password "keeper" app rather than any sort of spreadsheet, Word, paper list, etc. And I keep  a copy of that datafile (which is SuperDuper Encrypted™) in a few places in the cloud.

The real issue for most of us tho isn't someone trying to hack our individual password(s) it's the massive data breaches where someone breaks into a major corporate site. Not much we, as individuals, can do to ensure that those companies are doing the best they can to protect their servers. Except perhaps suing the bejeesus out of them. There should be the equivalent of the "corporate death penalty" for events like the Equifax breach.

And @RRP, you are using your devices on a public network, otherwise we wouldn't be able to read your comments. That public network is called the internet. :)

Also, since this forum/site is not using an HTTPS connection all information flowing from our computers to this site are sent across the internet in open plain text, including your password when you login. So if you forget your login here just submit a FOIA request to the NSA or FBI and they'll send it to you. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    LastPass user here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    It isn’t good when the computer with the password manager suddenly dies.
    Or, worse, is stolen.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• password for a password is playing with fire. What's the user name? Login?
    best password is Itchanged!
     KeePass is your friend and free. Just back up to a USB. Copy and paste intricate pass words faster than you can type password.
  • Same password for everything.  Quite derogatory.  Figure I may as well stick it to the hackers if they are after my nickels

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited November 2017
    I have all my passwords in Excel, WinZip and encrypted (paid version) with a password.   Back up my computer on a regular basis also.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • EggNorth said:
    I have all my passwords in Excel, WinZip and encrypted (paid version) with a password.   Back up my computer on a regular basis also.   
    Excellent security hygiene right here. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    RRP said:
    Guess I'm in the minority here. I have a different password for every site I frequent. They use random upper, lower cases, numbers, symbols and are all 9 to 10 characters long. No two are even close to another. There is no way to memorize them so I keep them in 3 places. One is in a locked vault, one in a book on the shelf and the 6 most frequently used I have on a list taped by my computer. I don't have a list anywhere in my computer such as a WORD file or anything that could be hacked. I don't trust a password manager for that very reason as well. Granted I don't have visitors nor do I ever use my devices on a public network - yes, I'm very cautious - even overly - but that's just me! 
    I wouldn't really categorize your high tech solution of taping your most frequently used passwords to your desk as overly cautious... =)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2017
    RRP said:
    I wouldn't really categorize your high tech solution of taping your most frequently used passwords to your desk as overly cautious... =)
    I understand, but like I said... I don't have visitors! Hell...even my wife has no clue what that "jiberish" is I have near the iMac! =) as I don't even have them identified. but know in my mind what is what, just no way to memorize them if my life depended on it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pay attention kids, it’s not every day you get to witness cognitive dissonance up close.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @JohnInCarolina - that's too much to digest on a Sunday PM.  I'm of two minds over how to proceed.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pay attention kids, it’s not every day you get to witness cognitive dissonance up close.
    Almost daily on this site.  Pay attention, John!
    Password complexity greatly reduces your chances of getting hacked via brute force. Remember that every character added to your password exponentially lessens your chances of being easily compromised.

If you do anything, please make your email account passwords complex and difficult. Almost any account associated with you can have its credentials reset via confirmation email so once that account is compromised you're screwed. I would also recommend using two-factor on email accounts. Gmail for example remembers your device for 30 days so it's a minor inconvenience. 

Enough geek. Back to your regularly scheduled program 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I also use 1Password and really like it.  It's on my computer, my wife's computer, our phones and iPads.  My wife has my password to it and I have hers, so we're OK unless we both die at the same time.

One problem with keeping the list by the computer is that people sometimes steal computers, so if they break in and steal your computer, now they also have all of your passwords, and that's probably worth more than the computer!

And I'm not on FaceBook because I tried it and just felt like a stranger in a strange land -- was NOT for me -- but I forget the right terms for this, but I closed it down without deleting it completely, so my account doesn't show up, I'm not "on" FaceBook, but if I wanted to start it up again all I have to do is log in and everything is back.  OK, so a couple of times I got texts on my phone from FaceBook saying, "XXXXXX is your FaceBook password reset code..." with the Xs being numbers, so I think someone already HAD hacked my FaceBook password, but because I had 2-part authentication set up, it required that I get a text on my phone and respond to it to actually reset the password, and of course I didn't respond.  I logged back into Facebook, reset the password myself to an even longer, incomprehensible bunch of gobbledygook, and then closed the account again, and it's never happened again.

Too long a story, sorry, but the point was there ARE people out there hacking accounts, and if you use simple passwords, you're really opening yourself up to losing whatever you're trying to protect with that password.  In this list of "Most Hackable Passwords of 2016," the TOP most easily hacked ones out of 100 were:

1password

5qwerty

And BTW, for those who suppose that "quite derogatory" passwords are a good idea, please read that list:  there were plenty of obscene ones that were among the MOST easily hacked passwords found in the world!
  • We once were required to use a new program at work. I didn’t agree with the program and it showed in my choice of passwords. SucksMuch was one of the passwords and I had to change it every 90 days. Eventually I started using Spanish expletives just in case I T started to narc.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I create new passwords for each site. Usually just a visual scan and add some case sensitive and numbers. At barbershop now... BaRber32266ShOp or something like that. I have a flashdrive to store passwords. And a password to get into the drive. :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    OT12OT34OT

That's my new one.