Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters- OT

Not an egg cook, but one of my favorites nonetheless. Spent the weekend at out place down on the coast, had a good hunt with the dog and a good buddy. Topped the venting off with some fall oysters cooked quick over a bed of good oak coals. Love that dog, love this time of year, and love oysters over a hot fire. Thanks for lookin'

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2017
    Pheasants "down on the coast" :confused:
    Edit: color me stupid. Guess I never knew MA had pheasant populations. Bag limit of 2? Not too bad. 
    Looks like a perfect day to me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • That looks like the perfect weekend. 

Whats the plan plan for those pheasants?

and sidebar question...what O/U are you running and do you like it? My dad has been riding me to buy a pair. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Pheasants "down on the coast" :confused:
    Edit: color me stupid. Guess I never knew MA had pheasant populations. Bag limit of 2? Not too bad. 
    Looks like a perfect day to me. 
    Ya. They're all stockies. We usually go after em on the way home from the duck hole or when we just plain don't feel like hunting ducks. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Dude, you know how to live :-) 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

and sidebar question...what O/U are you running and do you like it? My dad has been riding me to buy a pair. 
    Pheasants will hang in my "game" fridge to age for 7-10 days. I usually pluck them out, brine them, then on the egg with a little a cherry or apple. If they're a little too shot up to use as a whole roaster, I part them out and fry them. I'm toying with the idea of making a "turducken" with a wood duck, pheasant and a turkey at some point this fall

O/U is a 20 ga Beretta Silver Snipe. Not a fancy O/U, I inherited it and it has a fair amount of sentimental value, so I try to take it out for a few hunts every year. 
  • Hans61 said:
    Dude, you know how to live :-) 
    Thanks man! I try to get out 2-3 times a week. Ducks, deer, pheasants, whatever. I'll try and post some of my game cooks from this season. Could get interesting... 
  • Awesome. Look froward to you posting that cook. Pheasant is my second favorite game bird after dove.  

I dont like taking my safe queens in the field. All my O/Us are for shooting clays. I just need a decent field gun. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Great looking dog!  I love oysters with a little smoke - fantastic end to a hunt!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Love that yellow Lab!
  • @mEGG_My_Day @SandyHookEgger - Thanks guys! I'm lucky to have her. Her bird drive is absolutely through the roof! 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Awesome. Look froward to you posting that cook. Pheasant is my second favorite game bird after dove.  

I dont like taking my safe queens in the field. All my O/Us are for shooting clays. I just need a decent field gun. 

Killit are you only looking for a O/U field gun?? Just curious if you are looking at semi autos too or not.
    LBGE
    AL
  • TideEggHead
    Love some char grilled oysters! Sounds like a perfect weekend to me!
    LBGE
    AL
  • jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
     Killit_and_Grillit said: 

Not taking your pretty guns into the field is like not sleeping with your pretty girlfriend so she has more value when you get rid of her..

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit

• @TideEggHead I have more pumps and semis then I know what to do with. (And I’ve grown fond of my Benelli for dove and duck) But my dad has been on this OU kick for some upcoming trips he is planning. 

@jrj3rd I have a problem getting rid of any top shelf classic guns. (If you saw my safe you would understand) So in this case it’s more the analogy of “Wives are for church and strippers are for Vegas.”  ;)

South of Nashville, TN

• TideEggHead
    @Killit_and_Grillit Understand! Not sure your price range. I looked hard at some of the CZ models last year but ended up with a camo semi for ducks. I've heard some good things about the CZ O/Us but cannot confirm personally. If you're  close to one, Cabalas has a CZ O/U ($549)and some browning O/Us (starting at $1,429) on sale for Black Friday....
    LBGE
    AL