Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWEETBREAD MEAT

Options
Does anyone have recipes on how to cook sweetbread meats at what temperature and how long recipe

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Perhap @SGH will be on tonight.
    He has a long list of tried and proven anus recipes.
    Maybe he has something for sweetbreads.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Check in Castell TX in May

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What is with my posting pics???
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Hereare a few ways I do them.
    Beef, Veal, Sweetbreads, Himalayan, Richard Fl.

These Himalayan meals are very eggjoyable.

1. Took a pound of veal sweetbreads and soaked for a day and then parboiled for 4 minutes, then pressed under a piece of granite for 30 minutes.

2. Placed my Himalayan salt block on small when I lit it and the dome came up to 500F dome, not sure of salt temp.

3. Brushed the salt block with a mixture of melted butter, lemon juice, peanut oil, Holy Smokin' Chipotle and Death by Garlic seasonings. Placed the sweetbreads on salt block for 4-minutes, brushed top and turned for 4 more minutes. Dome 475F.

4. Made some couscous and veggies for the sides. Used Chipotle sauce for dipping the sweetbreads.

5. And you saw my dessert yesterday, Chocolate PB & J Pie:

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish, Vegetarian

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/06/29**
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1115030&catid=1
    Beef, Veal, Sweetbreads, Richard Fl.

Every couple of years I get a craving for sweetbreads, usually veal.  I know that this dish is not for most, but I do not like green bell peppers.  Each his own. Hope a few of you enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
    The ingredients are listed in the link plus a few modifications I did.  I used a few leeks as there are no ramps around here eggcept for boats on the water.
    This sauce is great on steak.
    1/4 cup Chopped Ramps, Wild Leeks
    1 clove Garlic Minced
    1 clove Shallot Minced
    1 pint Heavy Cream
    1 Tbs Butter
    1/2 cup Cognac or Brandy
    1 tsp Kosher Salt
    1 tsp White Pepper
    1 tsp Cayenne

1. Took a pound of veal sweetbreads and soaked for a day and then parboiled for 4 minutes, removed as much of membrane as possible, then pressed under a metal fajita pan between paper towels overnight in the frig.

2. Sliced the sweet breads into medium thickness, about 1/4"  and added to hot cast iron pan with butter, little olive oil S & P. Tossed around for about 5 minutes.

3. This sauce is to die for over steaks or whatever.

4. Sauce, Beef, Steak, Ramp, Morel, Cognac Cream Sauce, Hoss's BBQ

5. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1103259&catid=1

6. I changed it up slightly by adding 1/3 cup rehydrated (in red wine) morel mushrooms, couple Tbs small whole capers and 3 Tbs cream cheese.

7. The morel shrooms were a trade out for seasonings from fellow egger Jon Stahl in Alaska.  Thanks John.

8. Served over toast tips.

9. Had couscous and yellow squash/onions as side dishes.

10. Have everything chopped and near by when you start.

Cooking Directions:

1. Melt butter in a hot saute pan.

2. Saute the garlic,shallots and ramps till soft.

3. Deglaze with Cognac.(carefully this will ignite!)

4. Reduce the Cognac by half.

5. Add the heavy cream and reduce till desired thickness.

6. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.

7. Serve over steak or any other grilled or sauted meats.

8. Special Instructions:

9. If using mushrooms add the mushrooms first let them cook for a while then add your garlic and shallots or else they will burn.

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2015/04/23
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1381226&catid=1

Author Notes
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180086/awful-sweetbreads#latest
    Beef, Veal, Sweetbreads, Richard Fl.

Every couple of years I get a craving for sweetbreads, usually veal.  I know that this dish is not for most, but I do not like green bell peppers.  Each his own. Hope a few of you enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
    The ingredients are listed in the link plus a few modifications I did.  I used a few leeks as there are no ramps around here eggcept for boats on the water.
    This sauce is great on steak.
    1/4 cup Chopped Ramps, Wild Leeks
    1 clove Garlic Minced
    1 clove Shallot Minced
    1 pint Heavy Cream
    1 Tbs Butter
    1/2 cup Cognac or Brandy
    1 tsp Kosher Salt
    1 tsp White Pepper
    1 tsp Cayenne

1. Took a pound of veal sweetbreads and soaked for a day and then parboiled for 4 minutes, removed as much of membrane as possible, then pressed under a metal fajita pan between paper towels overnight in the frig.

2. Sliced the sweet breads into medium thickness, about 1/4"  and added to hot cast iron pan with butter, little olive oil S & P. Tossed around for about 5 minutes.

3. This sauce is to die for over steaks or whatever.

4. Sauce, Beef, Steak, Ramp, Morel, Cognac Cream Sauce, Hoss's BBQ

5. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1103259&catid=1

6. I changed it up slightly by adding 1/3 cup rehydrated (in red wine) morel mushrooms, couple Tbs small whole capers and 3 Tbs cream cheese.

7. The morel shrooms were a trade out for seasonings from fellow egger Jon Stahl in Alaska.  Thanks John.

8. Served over toast tips.

9. Had couscous and yellow squash/onions as side dishes.

10. Have everything chopped and near by when you start.

Cooking Directions:

1. Melt butter in a hot saute pan.

2. Saute the garlic,shallots and ramps till soft.

3. Deglaze with Cognac.(carefully this will ignite!)

4. Reduce the Cognac by half.

5. Add the heavy cream and reduce till desired thickness.

6. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.

7. Serve over steak or any other grilled or sauted meats.

8. Special Instructions:

9. If using mushrooms add the mushrooms first let them cook for a while then add your garlic and shallots or else they will burn.

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2015/04/23
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1381226&catid=1

Author Notes
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180086/awful-sweetbreads#latest

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Had some at a cook off this last weekend, it was awesome
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian