Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine Your Turkey Wings and Legs?? (Also Krogers has Turkeys $.59 lb)

Killit_and_Grillit
Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
edited November 2017 in Poultry
I was in Krogers yesterday and saw turkeys were $.59 a lb on sale.  We aren't a turkey for Thanksgiving kinda family but I thought, "hell, I was gonna get chicken wings for tailgating Saturday, for $12 I could get two turkeys and do smoked legs and wings".

I'm just doing wings and legs, not the whole bird.

Then I got down the rabbit hole on an old thread that @DMW posted and @Hotch were discussing brining vs just popping them out and going raised direct 400.

SO...what's the theory and the positives/negatives to this?  I typically like a good crispy skin but turkey always has a tendency to get dry and we can't have that.

What say you and why?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited November 2017
    Have you done a turkey on the egg before? Night and day difference from one from the oven. It's almost like eating something completely different. The moisture is unreal. My wife never used to be much of turkey person but the egg has changed her perspective on it.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @WeberWho I have but I haven't done just the legs or the wings by themselves.  The only time I've done turkey legs was wild turkey and that's a totally different beast to make edible.

I'm looking for crispy skin and a little smoke.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• I just smoked a 7 1/2 lb honeysuckle white young turkey and it was 1.99 per lb YIKES! Highway Robbery.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Killit_and_Grillit - odds are the birds you bought are already juiced up.  I use the same approach as a chix, air-dry in the fridge over night and if that's not enough time some corn starch for the dry/crispy skin.  Regarding the cook process, I'm of the opinion that somewhere in the 350+/- range til you get to the finish line temp works.  
    Not familiar with the rabbit hole you mention.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Also I recommend injecting if you want the crispy skin like I prefer. Pat dry before laying on the BGE and glaze every few hours if you desire. Comes out golden crispy.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited November 2017
    @lousubcap I got lost in the infinite space that is the Egghead forum search function and finally landed on this thread http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163214/smoked-turkey-legs

And as I look it up I just saw it was actually @gmac 's thread. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Rouse’s also has Butterballs for sal at 0.59$ a lb....with a $20 purchase. I Egg a lot of turkey. I’ve brined and not brined but almost always do spatchcocked. The key is making sure the legs and thighs lay flat. Slice the skin at the joint of thighs and body. Cut a slit in the skin and tuck the end of the legs through the slit. Pull the breast at 155 or maybe 150 and dark meat at 180 or so. Point the legs to ward the hinge. Here is a pic of a half turkey that I did last weekend. 
  • Your flame thrower will do a pretty good job.  Whats to worry?
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating