Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Recipes

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
Looking to break my DO in tomorrow. Searching for some good recipes or ideas from my fellow egg heads. Any input would be great. I’m game for pretty much any egg cook. 

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Pepper stout beef. A quick search here will give a lot of options. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • g8golfer
    Options
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Pepper stout beef. A quick search here will give a lot of options. 
    Just did that in my DO Sunday! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Dutch ovens are made for cobbler. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You need to make sure that thing is properly seasoned @g8golfer. Or you will spend hours cursing the day you bought it. (Believe me, I had one I swore was "pre-seasoned...it's my red headed stepchild"

As far as recipes... chili, soups, chickens, cobblers (apparently @DoubleEgger and I both have the same inner fat kid cause that was my first thought)

If you would put it in a crock pot it can Dutch oven. 

There is a Boy Scout book you can buy online about Dutch oven meals. I can't remember the name, I've had a hard copy since I was a kid. Great resource. It's what we had to use every summer camp and camp out to learn how to cook in one on coals, gas, and open flame. Tons of good stuff. 

Regardless of the seasoning, my first cook would be bacon. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• g8golfer
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit had the DO for awhile and have it seasoned just never really used it. Might go with chili just according to what the wife is feeling. Looking for that book now. Thanks. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Chili is a good start. 

Drop biscuit chicken pot pot pie is always a win especially on a cold camping night. 

I just looked up the book. I think the newest edition has a different cover. I'll see if I can find the old one tomorrow

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Budaman5000
    Options
    What did you decide to cook on your D.O.?
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Have you tried over the top chilli?

• g8golfer
    Options
    @Budaman5000 haven’t got to try anything yet. Looks like another long night at work. Saw several discussions on the forum for the over the top chili but haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. Is it that good? 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Chili.  A million times over.  So good!

Also, do a Google search for Julie’s camp bread.  Easy to make and adaptable.  We made some with cheddar cheese and rosemary and it was dynamite. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Over the top chili for sure, a real crowd pleaser, the crowd in question being over 20 people :). This is my recipe:

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/08/04/over-the-top-smoked-chili/

The other thing I cook in a Dutch Oven is bread:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/10/20/inverted-dutch-oven-bread/

@DoubleEgger / @Killit_and_Grillit - got a decent recipe for cobbler you could share?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I have a cast iron dutch oven that I use regularly for one main recipe:

Fill it half way full with peanut oil.  Heat the oil to 350 degrees.  Drop in some fresh cut chicken wings, preferably all flats.  12-15 minutes later remove, place in a large bowl, and toss with your favorite sauce (make sure it's got some heat).  Add some ranch and celery, and a few ice cold beers.  Man, now you are eating!!!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Chili, smoked brisket chili to be exact. Total nirvana.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • g8golfer
    Options

Running behind at work so I decide to do chicken n dumplings on the stove. Baked the chicken first with S&P and dizzy pig tsunami spin before I combined with the dumplings. Man it was awesome. Wife was pleased. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brisket chili.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Over the top chili.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Budaman5000
    Options
    I have made over the top chilli once last year at the end of winter... fantastic would highly recommend  it if have not tried it... the meatball is super tender and full of flavor...of course I added in like a 1.5lbs of bacon in it...with some seasonings and Portuguese sausage....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    dutch oven potroast is hard to beat in the egg. ive been backing off on liquid added to the point my next cook might just be some beef marrow bones covering the bottom, some onions quartered on top of the bones, topped with a seasoned chuck roast. 320 indirect for about 4 hours for a big roast til it starts to fall apart. im thinking the onions might have enough liquid
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    There is a Boy Scout book you can buy online about Dutch oven meals. I can't remember the name, I've had a hard copy since I was a kid. Great resource. It's what we had to use every summer camp and camp out to learn how to cook in one on coals, gas, and open flame. Tons of good stuff. 
    - 1 on cooking tips from the Scouts.  While the group has become more inclusive over time, many of these recipes were developed by clueless dads trying to find a way to feed 20 hostile Cub Scouts when they packed the food but forgot some key elements of the cook.  These dads were not like you.  These are the dads from the sixties that went to work and came home to a hot meal without ever having stepped foot in the kitchen.  Untrained men.

That is how I came to eat an egg poached in an orange peel while at Camp Strake with my dad in the '70s.  While I am sure he loved me very much, it was not reflected in the quality of that egg... which was horrible.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX