Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella Grill MkII, Pulled Pork, Bread, and Stuffed Crepes - a fun weekend.

I had a great weekend of cooking and building. Saturday I built my paella grill MkII. I’m to cook paella for 30 people on Friday after Thanksgiving. I ordered a 32” paella pan and built this grill:

That’s a 22” inch pan shown. This is the MkI grill:

Today I loaded the egg with pork butt. I’m cooking ahead for a Tuesday meal before thanksgiving. We’ll do pulled pork tacos that day. 

For supper tonight I made chicken stuffed crepes. OMG. These were good. Here’s the recipe: 
http://treasureinanearthenvessel.blogspot.com/2014/05/chicken-crepes.html?m=1
I’ll definitely put these into the rotation. These would be great for a dinner with friends. You can make the crepes and the filling ahead. Then it would be simple to put them together later. 

And.... I have sourdough loaves retarding in the refrigerator. Baking tomorrow after work. 
Life is good my friends. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Life looks like it tastes good too!  Looking forward to seeing more good eats.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    What a show off. Nice work man. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Great work as always.  A real banquet right there.  That's a manly paella cooker right there.  Enjoy breaking in that 32" beast.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    SciAggie said:
    I had a great weekend of cooking and building. Saturday I built my paella grill MkII. I’m to cook paella for 30 people on Friday after Thanksgiving. ...

Life is good my friends. 
    Didn't you mean 31 people (and my +5)?

Fantastic looking rig and exquisite cook (I would have called it "exceptional", but you bang one of these out every couple of weeks). 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I love that you’re building these rigs for a real fire and not a propane burner - so cool.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    There's a lot going on in that post.  I don't know where to start!  All looks good, though.

As someone who loves paella, I don't know why I haven't made it yet.  I'll go with the egg, as it's what I have, but I love the look of those open air grills.  Doesn't seem like it is easy to adjust the height, though, if you need to control temp during your cook?  I love those old charcoal grills chimney grills with the crank you can turn to raise/lower the coal bed.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Man, looks delicious!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Nice work all around.
    Enjoy the family time over Thanjsgiving. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @20stone It should feed 20-40 folks. I'll throw in some more rice and shrimp and y'all can eat too.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @Legume Cooking over wood is so much fun. It's not hard to control temps. You have the same mentality as with the egg - you can get things hotter easier than you can cool them off.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    :clap: All of that smacks of awesomeness!! The crepes look tasty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone It should feed 20-40 folks. I'll throw in some more rice and shrimp and y'all can eat too.
    To steal from @""The Cen-Tex Smoker" , "Don't threaten ME with a good time!"

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    @KiterTodd The space between platforms is adjustable, just not during the cook. So far that hasn't been a problem. Maybe there is a MkIII grill in the future...
    If you haven't made paella on the egg yet, then go for it. My advice is to use great ingredients. Bomba rice, good home made broth, quality saffron, smoked paprika. Use a few high quality ingredients and the flavors will not disappoint. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    edited November 2017
    @caliking I made crepes for the first time this weekend. I don't know what rock I've been under - they are easy to make and delicious.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @20stone @caliking A Patagonia cross is the next project.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @TideEggHead @Focker Thanks y'all.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone @caliking A Patagonia cross is the next project.
    And you know we're waiting to see that :)

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Nice job!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I'm guessing there is a good reason for four handles on that pan.  You are definitely gonna be able to crank out some quality and quantity paella right there.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    This makes me happy. Pata Negra 32” pan. Oh yeah baby!

Team NFA may have a new pledge.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    edited November 2017
    @lousubcap The four handles will be nice. The pan itself probably weighs 25 pounds. Add 2 kilos of rice, 6+kilos of liquid and a few kilos of protein - it will be a load. 
    @20stone :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • You always take it to the next level. That may be the coolest pan I’ve ever seen. Hope you can get/share some action shots of it in use. 
    Snellville, GA

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    SciAggie said:

WOW, and here I thought the Lodge 15" was big.  That is a chunk of steel my friend, looks nice and thick too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• @SciAggie - How awesome! Your thanksgiving weekend sounds like it will be epic. That new grill and the paella pan is the bomb! Put foil over the plastic handles if you don't want them to scorch... I know, I didn't use foil and wish I did.

And thanks for the chicken crepe recipe, it's now on the list of stuff I gotta make.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SciAggie
    edited November 2017
    @Florida_Grillin_Girl Thanks for the tip. 
    @Focker The pan is much heavier than I thought. It’s well made. 
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan Oh, there will be lots of pics. :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Holy paella pan, Batman!! That's awesome!!

I had a line on a 20" skillet with a 2ft handle that the seller decided to get appraised instead of selling on CL. I was super bummed about missing that.

• 20stone
    caliking said:
    I had a line on a 20" skillet with a 2ft handle that the seller decided to get appraised instead of selling on CL. I was super bummed about missing that.
    Gotta be a trigger puller
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    SciAggie said:

Captain America?

Phoenix 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

Holy COW that pan is incredible!!! And the cooker to support is awesome, too!  Can't wait to see some pix from that cook.

@kitertodd yeah you definitely need to do it.  just don't worry about getting a pan small enough to fit with the lid down.  cook on a raised grid with the dome raised the whole time and the egg works great as a paella cooker. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle