Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect cooking setup

Options
First-time post here, been EGGing for about a year. Curious on folks’ indirect cooking setup - particularly as it relates to reverse searing without removing the plate setter. I’ve been using something that works, but I don’t believe it’s the most effective setup. I’ve researched inserts and other add-ons and nothing jumps out at me as being significantly better. Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  Ceramicgrillstore.com is a good choice to explore options.  Between the Woo and Adj Rig there are numerous possibilities plus a lot of homemade rigs on here.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    If I read your post right, you are looking to reverse sear w/o removing the platesetter.  For me to get the sear, you need the direct heat which means direct access to the burning lump-no platesetter in play.  
    With a platesetter give the ceramic grill store (as mentioned by @SSQUAL612) a look: https://ceramicgrillstore.com  Check out the PSWOO for hardware that makes for easy platesetter removal.
    You can also use this dilemma as a selling point for another BGE.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I actually don't bother with the plate setter for reverse searing steaks.  I just cook them direct at a very low temp (250° or so), flipping occasionally, moving them around once in a while till they're 120°, then take them off and open up the vents till the fire is at 600°-650°.  I just don't want to mess with putting in the plate setter and then taking the plate setter out, and this works fine for me.  Easy and it works.

But for low-and-slow cooks I use the plate setter.  I've often thought about buying an Adjustable Rig that lots of people swear by, but I get along so well with the plate setter that I already have that I've just never done it.  If I cooked ribs for lots of folks very often I'd certainly get an Adjustable Rig, and if I didn't already have the plate setter and was going to choose one or the other, it'd be the Adjustable Rig.  I just already have the plate setter.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    You can roast raised direct at a cooler temp as Thephan says, or what I often do is use my woo with a CI grid down low, half moon ceramic piece on that and then stock grid on top of the woo.  Roast over the half moon, pull the meat, pull the top grid and open the vents, sear down on the CI grid.  You still have to pull the grid, but I prefer searing down low with the woo rather than waiting for a full-on inferno to get good searing where the big grid is.

or sear in a CI pan, I don’t think you need to get those as hot to get a good sear.
  • APND02
    Options
    Is there a way to get a half-size place setter installed? I have a divider to ensure lump is only on one side, I’d like to be able to deflect any heat coming from it so that I truly have indirect heat on the other side. Does the CGS have something that does that? I looked and can’t find it. But I find their website difficult to navigate so I may have just missed it. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @APND02 - your take on the cgs site is shared by many.  What you want is not available.  But what you can do is get a second grid (don't know the size of your BGE) but Weber makes a few options.  Lay that on top of the ring and then put some 1" thick or so fire bricks on it to get your half-option.  Then away you go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited November 2017
    Options
    CGS has 1/2 stones that are designed for what you’re trying to accomplish.  You can use with the Woo or ADJ Rig.  I don’t really care for the new site,  but I’ll see if I can find a link to post for ya. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/half-ceramic-stones-dual-zones-deflector-set-up?variant=240936189978

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • APND02
    Options
    Perfect SSQual612!