Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon?

Options
61chev
61chev Posts: 539
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got the kit to make some bacon. Was thinking about using a pork loin the directions say to use boston butt. I am wondering if I should butterfly the loin to get more of the mixture through out the meat. Any thought on this? thanks
Gerry7

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    61 CHEV,[p]No need for that at all. Loins take about 6 days to cure. If you http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com you will go to my homepage. I added a Buckboard Bacon page on Friday with pictures of butts, loins and tenderloins. I know the instructions are very complete but I added some personal tips and my technique for cooking on an Egg since HiMountain's instructions are for an electric smoker.[p]I forgot to add the trick that RickSegers turned me on to; injecting loins AFTER the final soak in water. The possibilities are endless but he uses a 50:50 mix of maple syrup and water, then coats the loin (using a tablespoon or so) with pure syrup before smoking. I really like the sweetness it gives.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    Mad Max has a thanksgiving hot line. Perhaps you should consider a Buckboard Western Union connection. first 2 hours dome 200, than raised to 225 My butt 2hr 45 min Internal 141F. Pulling at 150. Thanks. LOL

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    thirdeye,
    How do set up your egg to smoke at below 200 degrees? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks, tom

• Bajatom,
    I just cranked the large up a few hours ago. Filled 1/3 firebox with fresh B&B on bottom added old coals on top. reaches the top of the fire ring. Started center and 3 small fires with MAPP and placed grid and extended on top. bottom vent open 1/2 inch and top wheel open 1/4 inch. Popped a beer and watched closely. When it approached 175-180 15-20 minutes, dropped butt on top gris and closed lid. watched every 10-15 minutes for 2 hours in the 175185 range. Then opened bottom vent little more to reach 225. holding steady last hour.. Better go get some more beer.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Richard,
    Thanks for the info. Tom

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    61 CHEV,[p]I second Thirdeye's comments, as long as you don't have an absurdly thick loin, you should be fine without butterflying. I did one of these recently, and mine was under the 3" thickness suggested by the HiMountain folks and it turned out just great.[p]Enjoy![p]Rich

• thirdeye
    Options
    Bajatom,[p]I think I use even less coals than richard; fewer coals means easier air flow....Or I cheat and set-up the Guru on 175.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Thirdeye
    Wife walked by as I was looking at your buckboard page, and she made a very pointed suggestion that I try and duplicate your efforts. I hope to get by, by waiting until November before starting. You will be getting several hits from me going back to your page to make sure I don't screw up. Thanks for the Post.
  • thirdeye,
    Yes your method is better,but my guru is still on a list for the future and I was cooking behind the butt and too lazy to add more coal, that is why I loaded it up. Just pulled bacon 4 hours 150F internal, crept to 154 after pulling. EGGselent!! Chicken tenders are on now. Thank you again.

• thirdeye
    Options
    Richard,[p]Let's see...about an hour before a sample? Quality control and all that.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Since I do not have an electric slicer, how long should the butt rest before cutting? Couple hours or overnight in frig?

• thirdeye
    Options
    Richard,[p]About an hour for a sample slice or so. Chill overnight for serious slicing.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    thirdeye, Thanks i"ll go in and take a look
    Gerry