Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket on the BGE...

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't seen a post about Beef Brisket in some time.... just so happens I've got one on the Egg for tomorrows Red River Rivalry (OU vs TX) and kind of wanted to chat about it.[p] I'm doing it on my Large indirect with a full load of Royal Oak lump, and four or five hickory chunks through out the lump.[p] I think it's settled in at about 280º dome, and I'm hoping for tender brisket by 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, any pointers?[p] I know about the dwell time in the cooler in foil and towells, but is there anymore hints for a successful brisket? And, why is brisket not popular on the forum anymore?[p]Thanks!
Go Sooners! Beat Texas!

Comments

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    SuperDave ,
    I have had my large egg about 9 months and have done 2 whole packer briskets that were about 12-13 lbs each and 1 5 lb flat. All have turned out great. Maybe i have been lucky as i have read alot in the posts about how hard briskets are too do. I have found them to be pretty easy. I keep it pretty simple with my favorite rub and some turbino sugar. set about 250 dome temp and cook about 2 hours per pound. i start checkin about 10 hours in with my thermapen and pull at 200. typical wrap in foil and in cooler. they always look like they are going to turn out tough but when i start slicing across the grain it falls apart and is very tasty. the last one i put a little beef broth into the foil after pullin off egg and it seemed to help a little.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    SuperDave[p]I've been working hard at mastering the brisket slow cook. On average I've been to Costco at least once a week for the past 8 weeks and done briskets most every weekend. One trick I've learned--if the end result is not what I'm looking for then the crock pot is my buddy. I've taken 2 briskets that I was not pleased with--sliced about 1/8 inch and placed in the crockpot on low then reduced to the warm setting with about a half cup of beef stock. Within a couple of hours a most perfect result. Also, a great way to keep the product warm and moist for parties. This might be cheating but it works!![p]Brisket remains the ultimate challenge.[p]GO SKINS!![p]David