Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-- Blackstone 17 Propane/Regulator Issues --OT

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,429
Grandpa and Grandma bought my 6 year old a 17 inch Blackstone Griddle for his birthday.  He really wanted one.

We cooked bacon on it right out of the box.  I have it hooked up with a 20 lb tank and an adapter hose.  It ran great.

Next time I tried to light it, I couldn't get it to stay lit.  I know all about the safety mechanisms in the regulators and the tanks as I deal with it on the 36 inch griddle.  I shut everything off, disconnect the hose, wait, connect, start again, all is good.  Not so with the 17.  I called Blackstone.  They were very helpful.  They gave me a sequence to follow to start the 17 from a 20# tank.  I followed them precisely. The only procedural item that was new to me was to open the tank valve slowly.  We still could not get it working.  Blackstone said the regulator had to be bad and they would send me a new one, but they were on backorder. I said not to worry about it as I could still do an exchange with Amazon for the entire thing, which I did.  I just got the new one and have the same exact issue.  The first seasoning time went fine.  Fired it up, got to temp to put my grapeseed oil on, let it cool.  I repeated this 3 or 4 times in the same night.  Now, it will light with full flame for 2 or 3 seconds and then reduces to almost no flame or will shut off.  I repeat the procedures Blackstone gave me, but can't get it to stay lit.  I grabbed my other LP tank and have the same results.

Does anyone with a 17inch griddle run off the 20lb tanks?  Do you have to monkey with it a bunch or does it work every time just fine?  Wondering if they have a bad run of regulators or something.  Needless to say, my little boy is excited to use it, but is very frustrated, as am I.
Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just for grins, I would buy a small propane bottle and give it a try.
    When you are opening your 20 pound tank slowly, are your burners in the OFF position?
    Really strange, sounds like you are doing everything right.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @Photo Egg

Yes, burner is off.  It is my understanding that too quick of a flow from the tank is what shuts the regulator down.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Photo Egg

Yes, burner is off.  It is my understanding that too quick of a flow from the tank is what shuts the regulator down.  
    I understand the above.
    I would still buy a $4 small bottle just to confirm it's the Blackstone. 
    How long is your adapter hose to the 20 pound tank?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @Photo Egg

I will give the green bottle a try.  The hose is probably 4 feet.  The tank is on the ground while the griddle is on a bench at waist level.  There is a little slack in the line yet.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I use the adapter hose on my 17" with no problem. Used it Saturday for bacon and eggs.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Do the tanks work sans problems on other cookers?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Do the tanks work sans problems on other cookers?
    yes
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    DMW said:
    I use the adapter hose on my 17" with no problem. Used it Saturday for bacon and eggs.
    Thanks for the reply.  So the stars don't have to align for it to ignite consistently every time?
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    DMW said:
    Thanks for the reply.  So the stars don't have to align for it to ignite consistently every time?
    I've got the 22" BS and I'd bet it has the same low pressure regulator as the 17" and have never had any problems with my 20# tank/hose (tho I probably just now jinxed it).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    This thread has some information about the issue.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2218936

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Have run mine from low to wide open on a 20lb tank with zero issues.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    test the hose in question on the 36 or is it a different connector.  i hate these newer tanks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    Options
    test the hose in question on the 36 or is it a different connector.  i hate these newer tanks
    I agree these new tanks are the worst.  The hose is different.  One end connect to the LP tank, the other end is a male thread that goes to the BS17 regulator.  The mail threaded end emulates a 1lb coleman tank thread.

Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @Photo Egg

Have you tried turning on the BS burner slowly as well? just wondering if that would make a difference. btw, just guessing, I don't have a BS.
    canuckland
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    No issues with mine on any propane source.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Wish I could get my kids to cook anything. 
    I'm no help but good luck. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Smack it with a hammer wait 2-3 beers and smack it again, wait 3-4 beers smack the regulator again , wait 3-4 beers smack it again ! If it doesn't work by now you are too drunk to be using anything with a flame anyway !
    Just adding levity to an annoying problem. I had similar issue with the regulator on.my gasser after replacing the guts, gave the regulator a few taps and she fired up and worked properly ever since. I skipped steps 2&3, the beers part !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    It sounds like you have high pressure coming out of tank that is locking up their cheap regulator. Get a dual stage regulator on the tank. When I called Blackstone, no one knew the difference in gas pressures, as in water column. They had to contact China and it took 3-4 weeks to get an answer. I deal with gas regulators every day in mfg of cooking equipment.