Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Weber 18.5 Smokey Mountain $40.00 Craig Find

I was looking for an additional BGE on craigs and I came across a 18.5 WSM for 95.00.  I ended up getting this beast for 40 dollars due to damage on the lid.  Does anyone know how to determine how old or what version this one is? The previous owner said he used it once to grill burgers?  It looked like it was never used. It also came with a nice leather weber cover alone which is probably worth the 40 dollars I paid.

The only thing that needs replacing is the top of the grill.  It is missing the thermo and there was some damage to the top, but I still thought it was a good deal for the price!

Any help would be appreciated

XL BGE
WSM 18.5
Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thanks for the link
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Great score!
    There is a date code on the top damper, N=1991.
    http://virtualweberbullet.com/determine-age-weber-grills-smokers.html
    Call Weber CS and inquire about a lid.  Can't even list how many nice folks, and free replacement parts and shipping, I have received through the years.  Have even talked to the VP on one new kettle issue, took good care of me...sending a free therm and grill brush.

You will love the mighty bullet.  Pound for pound, the best pit $$$ can buy.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Awesome thanks Focker.  I mean you can never really have too many pits.  So far craigs has been very good to be.  I got my XL BGE for 800 and now this for 40. Craigs might be a bigger money pit than amazon.  Do you find yourself using the WSM or the BGE more?
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Also note, the older bullets did not have a therm/bezel as you can see on the older 18 vs the newer 22.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Which one do you like better?  Old school or New school?
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Awesome thanks Focker.  I mean you can never really have too many pits.  So far craigs has been very good to be.  I got my XL BGE for 800 and now this for 40. Craigs might be a bigger money pit than amazon.  Do you find yourself using the WSM or the BGE more?
    I agree.  =)

I like, and use both green and black.

WSM gets the low and slow work, ribs, pulled pork overnighters.  Look into the Minion Method.  I don't use water.  The WSMs travel so much better, so I've been camping with them a lot.

Cold smoking is done vertically by hanging the belly whole by a meat hook.

Wings, chili, I have run it in the worst Winter conditions just fine.  

With an easy door prop mod, you can run the WSM indirect or raised direct at higher temps, increasing its versatility.

Green gets the grilling, baking, woking, and really nasty Carhartt gear and whiskey cooks.

Having both is ideal.

IMO, 18 is the best size.
    You did good, really good.
    Enjoy!

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I'm heading out to the store in a few to pick up some nasty greasy stuff to get this pit nice and seasoned before I put any food I actually want to eat on it.

It feels great to bring an old smoker back to life!
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Focker
    Even with the dinged lid, there is still a lot of life left, looks like it was barely used.

Have fun rollin' smoke.  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    +1 for Weber CS. They have sent me free parts, 2 day delivery etc at no charge when they didn't have to. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    edited October 2017
    Which one do you like better?  Old school or New school?
    I actually prefer the old school WSMs, and kettles too.
    Seems like the porcelain coating is better, and I know the steel is thicker than Weber products today.  You can really feel it, see it, in the lids.  They are more prone to chipping, denting.  My 2001 OTG I rolled out of my truck on the 74 bridge, one small scrape was it as it fell on its face, dragging along the concrete.  Grid got ran over by traffic.  My newer OTG would've gotten messed up much worse.

The silicone gromet plug is worthless, and a PITA, trying to remove the top grid.  

A Chef Alarm is a better tool than a cheap dome therm IMO.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I just ordered a new lid from Weber (80 and change). Not bad for a WSM (40+80)= 120.  Ill probably upgrade the door to an aftermarket one as well.  My first cook will be some jerky after all my additions arrive. 
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5