Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modernist Bread

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
Ok bread nerds - your time has come. Nathan Myhrvold, author of Modernist Cuisine has now written Modernist Bread. This is a five volume, 2642 page monster that will explain the math and physics of bread. Don't you think this is a bargain for $560.00 on Amazon?

This will surely become a classic tome. I can't wait for the made-for-TV mini series...
http://www.modernistbread.com/#2

In seriousness, I'd probably buy it if I had ______'s money...
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bread + maths + physics ... ah man, you're killing me. :D

Available in the UK for a mere £374. I showed it to SWMBO ... she sighed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I started a thread that mentioned a multi-episode podcast that anyone interested in Myrhvold's "Modernist Bread" might be interested in giving a listen- http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209254/ot-modernist-breadcrumbs#latest

There was also an interesting article in the New York Times a few weeks ago about "Modernist Bread" and Myrvold's lab that some might also enjoy - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/dining/modernist-bread-book.html?em_pos=medium&emc=edit_sc_20171010&nl=science-times&nl_art=9&nlid=57802651&ref=headline&te=1&_r=2

Just like his previous book set "Modernist Cuisine..." he later released a one volume version titled "Modernist Cuisine at Home" for about $100 for those of us that don't have _____'s money.

I'm betting that he will do the same thing with his bread set a few months down the road.

Personally, I've been kneading my wallet in anticipation of this book set for quite awhile and it has gotten a good enough rise now so that I can be loafing when the book comes out in a couple of weeks. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    Options
    @HeavyG Thanks for the links. I'm sorry I missed them the first time around.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2017
    Options

Maybe I'll pick it once i read all the bread books i already have. (meaning not likely)

@SciAggie - I think you need this book - I'm sure they were targeting guys at your level

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @blasting Oh, I'd love a copy. I'd be as excited to use baking examples in my physics lessons. That would be as much fun as learning more about baking.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I may give the abridged version a thought, but I would never make it through the full version. I've honed laziness, impatience, inattentiveness to a delicately balanced art form. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    caliking said:
    I may give the abridged version a thought, but I would never make it through the full version. I've honed laziness, impatience, inattentiveness to a delicately balanced art form. 
    ^^ this. :D
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk