Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger Advice

Options
I finally bought me a LBGE.  I found a good deal on a used one but it didn’t come with any accessories.  I’m not sure where to start with everything that is out there.  I figure a plate setter is a must but don’t know if one brand is better than another or if they’re all basically the same?  What about setups to maximize how much you can cook on a large BGE?  Any advice you guys can give so I don’t have to spend a fortune to learn by trial and error is much appreciated!

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Definitely buy something to cook indirect.  The platesetter (called a conveggtor, now) is the BGE option.  Personally, I advocate for the woo and stone from ceramic grill store.  I think it’s a more functional, versatile set up.  

As for addtional accessories, ease in.  See how you’re cooking and decide how you want to enhance your experience from there.  Too many people over buy accessories on the front end.

a couple accessories I would recommend, however.  A thermopen or other instant read thermometer.  Welding gloves or something to be able to handle hot components coming out of the egg. 

Welcome. Can’t wait to see your cooks. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  I would start with the forum search function as that will give you plenty to digest.  After that come back with some specifics as platesetter is the old school name for a BGE product and no after-market sites use that name.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    When cooking at high temps burp your egg when opening 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You need to figure out how your going to cook on your egg and then decide what set up will work best for you.  Be careful with the open ended questions about accessories because this group will drain your 401k very quickly.  Lol 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Adjustable rig from ceramic grill store. Get the R&B combo. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SouthernEagle
    Options
    Platesetter and thermometer, I recommend some type of wireless thermometer, I bought a ThermPro to help monitor low and slow cooks. These 2 things will allow a lot of options for cooks, from there you can figure out what are things you actually need/want. Lots of accessories out there but these 2 things allow me to cook pretty much everything I want to. Pizza stone is the only other thing I would mention. FWIW
    LBGE- North of Atlanta, Georgia.

Hail Southern
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome.  An indirect setup is useful for cooking many items.  Always check out the options before buying.  There are several after market items that compete with the BGE versions.   Take your time before adding too many items - like others said we love to spend other people's money.  Try cooking what you want and then see if there are items available that would make the cook easier or more consistent.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome to the jungle.  You can easily spend as much on eggcessories as you did on the egg.  Definitely a platesetter or equal for indirect and instant thermometer.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    @JanitorByNight take it slow. I'm a fairly new egg owner. Take it slow plenty of accessories to buy. I would go with a platesetter and woo. Makes moving the platesetter much easier. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome! And take it easy with accessories. There's some truth to the 401k comment. =) There are those of us who will suggest going easy, but plenty who will give you a list as long as your arm. 

You will probably need something for indirect cooks. BGE sells the platesetter. CeramicGrillStore sells the Adjustable Rig as well as the Woo along with a stone to provide the heat barrier. Both are highly regarded. I have the BGE platesetter and have been fine with it. Many swear by the CGS products.

An instant read thermometer is handy, though no more so on the grill than it is indoors. IOW, if you cook indoors now without one, you'll do fine outdoors without one. Until I bought an egg in 2009, we never had a thermo. The Thermoworks Thermapen is the gold standard. Their ThermoPop is more affordable and gets good reviews. LavaTools has a couple that are much more affordable and get good reviews too. If my T-pen dies, I will try LavaTools.

That's it. You don't need most of the things people here will tell you you simply MUST have. Take your time. If you think of something you'd like to cook, but aren't sure how to set up your egg, just ask. Someone will be sure to tell you what you will have to buy. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    I prefer the AR from ceramic grill store.  Or the Woo and a stone would be a good way too.  You can always use the stone with an AR later on if you decide to go that route.  I wouldn't waste your money on a platesetter; they cost more and break more than a simple stone.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    PS, way to "raise" grate to felt level (bricks, PS Woo 2, Adjustable Rig) and a $39 Thermopop. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    Another vote for the woo (with handles) and a stone.
    Woodbridge, Va.