Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Country Cut Pork Ribs

Options
Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine wants me to cook some thick country cut pork ribs this weekend for the main course while we are tailgating. Problem is that I've never tried cooking these before and I'm looking for some suggestions. If anyone has experience with them, I'm all ears! :-) I looking for either mariate or rub suggestions as well as cooking techniques. Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    DannyC, This is one of my fav. You can cook low and slow 200 indirect or 325 direct with either marinade or dry rub A simple marinade of zesty Ita is good You can also use asian type. I cook these direct about 325-350. If rub is used your fav for pork will be fine I do lo slo this takes 6 -7 hrs. meat temp about 185-195. If cooked at 325 grid meat temp 160

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    DannyC,
    you need to know what cut they are, country ribs can be cut from the butt or shoulder, or can come from the loin. shoulder cuts are cooked low and slow for several hours, loin cuts are roasted in the mid 300's for a much shorter cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    DannyC,[p]This is one of my favorite cooks. I usually do the 3-1-1 method, and they come out juicy and tender.[p]Seasoning for me is like a wine soak for about 1 hour, then Tony Chacherie's. Then I let it recline in the fridge for about 2 hours then light da EGG and go to it.[p]Cajun
  • Danny C
    Danny C Posts: 16
    Options
    These are shoulder cut, so I'm guessing a lower temp slow cook. If they cook around 250, would that be too hot? They are normal thickness of country style ribs, so how long would it take? I "should" be able to have maybe 4 hours available to cook them. Would that be long enough?
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    DannyC, don't know Trick is to get to 185 190. Don't think 250 is to hot but might take longer than 4hrs. I'd hold off temp as long as possible and raise at the last to 350 to finish if it looks like you are running out of time. You could always miss the 1st half. LOL