Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food advice for Grandfathers 90th birthday party next weekend

Options
windnsea26
windnsea26 Posts: 159
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, 
Grandfather is turning 90 this weekend and we're having a little party.  Maybe about 60-100 people.  I was thinking of cooking a full brisket and chicken quarters to supplement all the filipino food that will be there.  I have 2 cookers to cook with if that helps with any of the advice giving.

TIA
San Diego, CA

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    SGH's sausage appetizer is hard to beat.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

ABT's are always a hit.  It always seems those outside of the bbq world haven't tried them.

Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190411/the-best-appetizer-that-you-will-ever-eat/p1 saved you the search. ABT's are good but a bit more work. Maybe grilled pineapple spears marinated in Fireball and dusted in brown sugar?
  • windnsea26
    Options
    Definitely agree on the comment about ABT's but I think that would be quite a bit of work for the amount that is produced.  Gonna look up the sausage app and the pineapple one that's linked.
    San Diego, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    smoked peppered cream cheese and wheat crackers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Keep it simple as you want to be able to enjoy your grandfather's party and mingle with folks/family that you likely haven't seen in a while.  Don't get overzealous and work yourself to death. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For Mom's 100th, we did some butts and served Carolina Q with homemade slaw, baked beans and potato salad. 

For 101, a smaller party so just burgers. Her b'day is July 4th after all. 

102 coming up. We'll see. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would do what ever it is that he has been eating all these years.....it seems to be working. 

Agree with above...keep it simple and enjoy the time.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Body Sushi...

Removed photo of body sushi girl. Did not mean to disrespect Grandpa.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Body Sushi...
    Dude is 90, bud!! 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Body Sushi...
    Dude is 90, bud!! 
    I would want that at 90.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Body Sushi...
    Dude is 90, bud!! 
    If I make it to 90, please don't throw me a party. Lighten up, it's Monday.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Easy for you guys to say that now. Besides, I was just thinking about the heart attack.

Yeah, I know... what a way to go. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    This was from @JohnInCarolina last birthday party.   

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Body Sushi...
    Dude is 90, bud!! 
    I would want that at 90.

Nyotaimori doesn't require much. A phone and a sushi chef. 
    Happy 90th to your Grandpa. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Keep it simple as you want to be able to enjoy your grandfather's party and mingle with folks/family that you likely haven't seen in a while.  Don't get overzealous and work yourself to death. 
    Very well said and insightfull.  
    Also I suggest that you advise your  grandpa that on his 100th birthday you will buy him an English bulldog ( name him spud)..... And take Grandpa to a gator football game at the university of Florida...that will insure he life will be completely fulfilled!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • windnsea26
    Options
    You guys are all too funny!  I am thinking of going with a brisket.  The party is Sunday afternoon so if I start it Saturday night, I should be good to go. 
    San Diego, CA