Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Canning Day- OT

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,429
Saturday 10-4 we scheduled an applesauce canning day. The entire weekend was rainy, windy, and Sunday was power outage-y.  This is the first canning run with the new kitchen.  This is a day we had in mind when deciding kitchen size and layout.  My mom came over to help.  From start to finish, we were working for 12 hours.  We did five and a half bushels of apples and one and a half bushels of tomatoes.

I bought 4 bushels of honeycrisp and 1.5 bushels of "luck of the draw" to mix in.  Honeycrisps were $10 for a half bushel.  Tomatoes were $8 for half a bushel.  I think the mixed apples were $5 for a half bushel.

1.5 bushels waiting to be washed.  Mom filling the sink.  Don't mind fence, it is in process of being removed.

4 Bushels of apples and 1.5 bushels of tomatoes on deck.

Cooking pots in front row and canning pots in the back row, ready for action.  Don't mind the jacked up back-splash.  Builder fixing someday. . . Cayenne pepper was not used, but did manage to photobomb this pic.

Some clean quart jars (both dishwashers cleaning the rest of the jars), bowls, and pans ready for processing apples.  Victoria Food Mill clamped to the counter.  In years past, no counter or surface had the correct thickness or overhang to clamp this thing to.  I was always cobbling something together with scrap wood or using a bench and setting the bench on a table.  This was  a huge victory.

Close up of food mill.

Daughter apple washing.  That is not a pumpkin spice late in the background.

Quartered apples cooking

Food mill being run by the kids.  Apparently this is a job worth fighting for.  Some of the kids in the background doing school work.

Jar filling

Into the canning pot.

Repeat.

Finished.  I did not help at all with tomatoes, therefore, no pics of that process.  I was helping my dad (who was helping me) gut the old basement.

Thanks for looking!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    good looking food. did about 2 dozen quarts tomaters a few weeks back, took a few days for my back to recoup. i dont think i could do 12 hours
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    Options
    good looking food. did about 2 dozen quarts tomaters a few weeks back, took a few days for my back to recoup. i dont think i could do 12 hours
    Thanks @fishlessman We did not stand in one spot long.  Lots of job rotating.  The kids couldn't get enough until cleanup started.  At that point, I couldn't find them anywhere.

Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Awesome post! It looked like everyone had a great time. What a fun way to spend with the fam/extended fam
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I nominate this to be post of the year.  Looks like a great time.  The kids are adorable. The pictures are terrific.  Way to go @kl8ton.

Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Thanks @blasting
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome family time and results!!  Enjoy your bounty!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

My great grandmother used to can applesauce, jellies and jams.  I remember eating them as a child and complaining because they were “chunkier” than the store bought brands I was used to.  Boy, what I would give to have her and those around again.

Thanks for posting and allowing me to remember my Grandma Haley this afternoon.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• kl8ton
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

My great grandmother used to can applesauce, jellies and jams.  I remember eating them as a child and complaining because they were “chunkier” than the store bought brands I was used to.  Boy, what I would give to have her and those around again.

Thanks for posting and allowing me to remember my Grandma Haley this afternoon.

We certainly are creating memories.  The kids are starting to look forward to these days. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like a blast.  I love stuff like this.

I've done group projects revolving around food prep like sausage, tamales, etc, although the one with Kim Chi drove SWMBO out of the house on account of the aromatic effluents.
    Options
    What a great day!!! You guys must really like applesauce.  I think I have about 2 tablespoons of it a year. I do not know why. I like it, just never think about buying it.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Great Project!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    What a great day!!! You guys must really like applesauce.  I think I have about 2 tablespoons of it a year. I do not know why. I like it, just never think about buying it.
    Homemade apple sauce is legit. Stuff you buy in the jar at the grocery store is maybe why you only have it a couple tablespoons a year. I only found out a few months ago what I'm missing with homemade. A bbq restaurant down in St. Louis showed me the light. I'm quite jealous of this post. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Homemade apple sauce is legit. Stuff you buy in the jar at the grocery store is maybe why you only have it a couple tablespoons a year. I only found out a few months ago what I'm missing with homemade. A bbq restaurant down in St. Louis showed me the light. I'm quite jealous of this post. 
    I also feel that using Honeycrisp apples takes it up another notch.  I would be satisfied with this stuff as a desert.  My kids could take down a quart each in one sitting.  That is not an exaggeration.  

Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Looks like a blast.  I love stuff like this.

I've done group projects revolving around food prep like sausage, tamales, etc, although the one with Kim Chi drove SWMBO out of the house on account of the aromatic effluents.
    Yes, I like day long food fest things like this.  We had breakfast lunch and dinner during the whole operation.  Lunch was brats and onions, dinner was some lasagnas my mom brought.  Great day!
    Grand Rapids MI
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    How did you keep a kitchen that white so clean?  I can't even get the tomatoes into the pot without making a mess everywhere. 
    Not sure what was wrong with with backsplash either. 
    Great job. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    It is great seeing the process, and you took some fantastic pictures (really cute kids help.
    @nola said:
    We've done a lot of the same. I need a garden to justify the canning.  Time to get to work. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • kl8ton
    Options
    gmac said:
    How did you keep a kitchen that white so clean?  I can't even get the tomatoes into the pot without making a mess everywhere. 
    Not sure what was wrong with with backsplash either. 
    Great job. 
    @gmac My mother is 100% Dutch.  "Dutch Clean" is a thing.  Somehow, she can multitask and clean while she works.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Wow!  That's a lot of canning!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95