Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
jwc6160
jwc6160 Posts: 218
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
doing a brisket this weekend and nervous about. I have done one prior and got lucky. It turned out great with minimal effort. I was actually sick and my wife babysat it for me. I didn’t have a probe at the time and just eyeballed it. Anyway, I’m more prepared this time so I’m bound to screw it up. Where do I place the probe?  In the flat part or the tip/thick end? I am doing a whole packer from Costco. Do I pull when the flat end hits 202 or the thick end. Thanks for any help/tips. 

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Place the temperature probe in the thickest part of the flat.  Pull when it probes with minimal resistance.....temp will in the 200 ballpark of the flat.  The "thick end" or point will take care of itself because of the higher fat content.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jwc6160
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    As above, go with the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  Temperature is only a guide for when to start the finish-line "feel" process.  
    Good eyeball to nail a brisket finish...if you had that kind of success right out of the gate then I wouldn't change it up.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jwc6160
    Options
    Probably should have asked this before but if I want to stay around 250-275 is that dome or probe temp?  
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Just pick if you want to go by dome or probe temperature and stick with it. I use the grid temperature. I do notice that they eventually settle within 10 degrees of each other. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • jwc6160
    Options
    Right now I’m 235 grid and almost 300 dome. That’s a pretty big difference. The probe isn’t terribly close to the meat either. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    You can’t fake a high temp. So over time your whole cooking area will trend toward 300. You might close your airflow down just a little. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I notice that my grid and dome temperature are very different at the start. After an hour or so, they should get close to each other. I don’t know how long you have been running or what your dampers are set to. Your dome or grid probe could need to be recalibrated. Like I said before, pick one and kind of ignore the other. If not, you will needlessly stress yourself out. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE