Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB for XL

I was on KABs website and I noticed that they recommend using the factory grate with their KAB on the XL Egg.
Any reason for this?

"We still recommend using with your grill's lower charcoal grate"
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    My 2 cents... XL already burns hot without KAB, without the oem grate in place to choke down the air flow it may get way too hot. 
    canuckland
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    My 2 cents... XL already burns hot without KAB, without the oem grate in place to choke down the air flow it may get way too hot. 
    And crack your base.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I think it's due to the size/width of the XL. Using the KAB ontop the standard cast iron grate stops the KAB from warping/sagging. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent said:
    And crack your base.
    What would crack your base, the heat?
  • That makes sense. Didn’t think the KAB would “sag”
    buy I guess over time it is possible 
    Photo Egg said:
    I think it's due to the size/width of the XL. Using the KAB ontop the standard cast iron grate stops the KAB from warping/sagging. 

• Arent you already controlling the airflow with the dampers? 
    It appears the KAB is only good for is keeping lump off the sides of the bowl and for also when you want to shake the ash from the KAB. 

Ive got a KAB for my MM and love it. So much better than factory grate. 

• I was on KABs website and I noticed that they recommend using the factory grate with their KAB on the XL Egg.
    Any reason for this?

I had asked the KAB folks about this a while ago.  This is a throwback to when the KAB was made with smaller diameter bar stock.  Now that they are using thicker bar stock, there is no need to use the lower grate at all.  I have the KAB in my XL and never used the lower grate in the egg during a cook.  
    Southwestern CT
  • I was on KABs website and I noticed that they recommend using the factory grate with their KAB on the XL Egg.
    Any reason for this?

I had asked the KAB folks about this a while ago.  This is a throwback to when the KAB was made with smaller diameter bar stock.  Now that they are using thicker bar stock, there is no need to use the lower grate at all.  I have the KAB in my XL and never used the lower grate in the egg during a cook.  
    Any issues with temp getting away from you since more air is getting to the lump?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I recommend the grate. I have an XL, and a KAB. Without the grate, in less than one year, cracked base. I replaced it, going on two years, with grate, no cracks.
    I am a belt and suspenders guy, so factor that in.
    Love the KAB, have them for all my eggs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    bgebrent said:
    And crack your base.
    What would crack your base, the heat?
    Yes.  The direct heat. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    This was discussed a couple of months back and the only ones that suggested using the KAB sans firegrate were the users that used the KAB sans firegrate and haven't experienced a cracked base yet. There are a good number of users that have experienced a cracked base sans firegrate so why risk it?

@JustOneOfTheGuys - If the KAB website updated their product page to say "Now with larger gauge wire" they could have just as easily removed "We still recommend using with your grill's lower charcoal grate", but they didn't because cracked bases still happen sans firegrate and they are covering their ash.

The fact is, the firegrate acts as a direct heat barrier to the base, similar to how a platesetter is used for indirect cooking, and does not take away in any capacity the performance of the KAB or BGE.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    I think that the lower grate insulates the base from the very hot coals and stops them from falling into the bottom of the egg . With no bottom grate coals will fall to base and in my opinion ( around here it is not worth much ) the base will crack . I think this holds true no matter what size Egg you are using the KAB in without lower grate . That is why there is the bowl that holds the charcoal instead of letting it lie against side of egg . Don't think I am bashing KAB, I love it . I have two, best thing that is made for Egg,just watch how you use it .
  • Any issues with temp getting away from you since more air is getting to the lump?
    Not at all.  I cut my eyeteeth, so to speak, with the KAB in my Xl egg.  Had it since day 1.  No issues or concerns from this guy.
    Southwestern CT
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited October 2017
    Let's not just concentrate on the XL. AFAIK current version of KAB, all sizes, have the same warning shown in below photo, from a KAB for small BGE. Draw your own conclusion.

FWIW, even in the pre KAB days, I remember reading about someone using firebricks to line the bottom of the egg... to absorb any excess heat?

edit: btw, the bottom of the KAB for small is only six inches in diameter, so I doubt sagging is a concern.
    canuckland
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Any issues with temp getting away from you since more air is getting to the lump?
    It’s amount of available oxygen and airflow. If you close the vents more it will stay the same temp. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Wolfpack said:
    It’s amount of available oxygen and airflow. If you close the vents more it will stay the same temp. 
    I disagree. It is the radiant heat that is emitted directly from the charcoal. The base was not meant to absorb extreme direct temps with every use. Why do you think there is a firebox and a firering? They act as a thermal barrier to prevent the base from cracking over time. There are other ceramic grills on the market like Primo and Saffire that use protective barriers on the bottom. And just because the BGE temp gauge reads one temp doesn't mean the coals are not 300 degrees hotter in a concentrated pile.

BGE XL
    NWArkansas