Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking butts a couple days early

Options
Sundazes
Sundazes Posts: 307
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a couple butts tonight for a "thing" on Sunday. My plan is to low and slow until finished tomorrow sometime. When they are done, cover a rest for an hour or so. Then I was going to pull it. I am planning to vacuum seal it and put it in the fridge.
My questions are:
Should I sauce it prior to packaging?
What is the best way to reheat it?

Comments

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I did a butt a couple weeks ago, and with just the two of us storage of most of it was required. We chose to portion it up and freeze it. Reheating was accomplished with a dutch oven. We placed the thawed pork in the dutch oven, poured a cup of cider over the top, and slid it in the oven with the cover on at 300* for a while. Once the cider boils off and the meat is heated, drop your oven down to 200* to hold temp. It's moist and has a hint of sweetness from the cider, but it doesn't turn to mush.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You do not need to pour sauce in it. The food saver bags are perfect to reheat in pot of water. Enjoy!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I do 2-3 butts every year for a golf trip with 15 of my buddies.  I cook and pull on Friday, let it cool completely, seal the pork in gallon ziplocs, and refrigerate.  I pack them in a cooler and travel on Sunday.  Sunday evening we heat the meat (unsauced) in foil covered aluminum pans at 350.  It's just as good and moist as it would have been freshly pulled.  I've always carried a couple cans of chicken broth in case it wasn't moist but I've never had to use them. Vac seal would be OK but I've not found it necessary.    

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• XLAggieEgger
    Options
    Smoke, let rest, pull and place in covered aluminum pans. When ready to reheat, pour about 1/4 cup of water in the pan and recover the pan as tight as possible. Place in a 275 degree oven for about 45 minutes and it will taste as good as new!