Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami (21 days)

Step 1:  Brisket on sale at Walmart for 1.99/lbs.
Step 2: After a long 21 day wait
Step 3: 2 (4) hour baths in water to wash the brine off
Step 4: 24 hour overnight stay in the fridge with rub out comes the perfect pastrami.
Step 5: The payoff

I have made pastrami 2 times previously and this is the best one yet.  Well worth the wait! Anyone considering Pastrami, give it a shot.  Its a labor of love

XL BGE
WSM 18.5
Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS

Comments

• Looks damn tasty!

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Oh yea!  That looks incredible.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Looks great. Dome and IT please.
  • 250/ 202 IT
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    WOW! Looks Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited October 2017
    Looks great.  So did you cure the brisket yourself or did you take a corned beef brisket and soak it in water to make the pastrami?   That's what I do.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!  Looks AMAZING!
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Looks pretty good! What grade was this one?

Last one I did, I trimmed it just like I do a traditional brisket. Looks like you ended up with a nice bark on there too.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    my mouth is watering...
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     What was in the cure(wet or dry brine?) and what in the rub?
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Looks good!  You should try slicing against the grain, it would be even more tender!

• I cured the brisket with a wet 21 day brine.  I stored the brisket in the wet brine located in the beer fridge in a 5 gallon pot. The pastrami cannot be rushed. I promise it is worth the wait.

Basic brine: Water , Pink Curing Salt, Pickling Spice ,Kosher Salt, Sugar, Honey Cloves Garlic

Bring the brine to a boil in a pot on the stove.  Very important to let the brine come to room temperature before putting the brisket in. I normally put it in the fridge for several hours before I put the brisket in the brine.  Let it go for at least 21 days.

Rub recipe:  Course Ground Pepper, Coriander Powder, Mustard Powder,Brown Sugar, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder

The grade of the brisket was the cheap one at Walmart. If I recall it was 1.79/ lb or so. I am working on learning how to slice the pastrami. I trimmed the brisket as normal. Next one I make ill make sure I take more pictures.  

I am looking into getting a slicer hopefully for black friday.  Speaking of slicer, anyone have any suggestions?
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Looks great.  So did you cure the brisket yourself or did you take a corned beef brisket and soak it in water to make the pastrami?   That's what I do.

I did it myself.  I had to make room in the beer fridge, but I put the brisket in a large 5 pot.  My wife was not happy, but the end product was worth it.
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • paqman said:
    Looks good!  You should try slicing against the grain, it would be even more tender!

Thank you.  I was still learning at this point.  On the next one I made, I took your advice.  Well worth it.  Thanks for the advice paqman
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Looks great! How long did you smoke it? wrapped at all?
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA