Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunk smoke good or bad

Options
brought the egg up temp dropped in the wood chunks (not soaked in water) immediately got thick smoke. I waited about 15 mins. Here's what the smoke looks like now

https://streamable.com/rxq9v

Comments

• SmartyPantz
    Options
    You're neighbors are going to start drooling! Hope they kiss up real nice
    When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
    XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
    Williamsburg, VA
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    lol @SmartyPantz. Thoughts on the smoke? 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It looks good to go

Rule of thumb, if it smells good it’s good
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 510BG
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    It looks good to go

im having a hard time with that rule. Smelled kinda bitter but I'm hoping for the best. Is there such thing a different quality of wood chunks? 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    It looks good to go

Agree. There's a definite difference between the acrid smelling smoke of lump burn-off and flavor woods. Smell the smoke. Don't be put off by the sight of smoke....it's kicking the flavor up notches. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hans61
    Options
    510BG said:
    Hans61 said:
    It looks good to go

im having a hard time with that rule. Smelled kinda bitter but I'm hoping for the best. Is there such thing a different quality of wood chunks? 

A lot of guys get smoking wood here https://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/

i buy Weber firespice 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    My smoke is always good =)
  • Hans61
    Options
    There’s different quality everything man :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 510BG
    Options
    Thinking I got some low quality wood chunks 
  • Hans61
    Options
    510BG said:
    Thinking I got some low quality wood chunks 
    What brand and wood type?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Smells good is good.  Consider adding your smoke wood into your lump.  Just another option.  Rather than throwing on top of your fire.  Still I believe it matters little.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Options
    Also, are you confident that your fire was burning clean before adding the wood?
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 510BG
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Also, are you confident that your fire was burning clean before adding the wood?
    I'm confident the fire was burning clean. Added the wood and within a couple of minutes thick smoke was shooting out of the BGE. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Place chunks on the edge or just off the fire. Practice makes closer to perfect :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 510BG
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Place chunks on the edge or just off the fire. Practice makes closer to perfect :-)
    I'll give this a try. I've been placing wood directly in the center of the fire.