Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza peel care

Options
I purchased a custom made pizza peel a few weeks ago from a vendor at the farmers market in Appleton WI. The person I purchased it from showed me a bottle of some type of wood treatment that he purchased from Menards.  I don't remember what it was.  I've also read that food grade mineral oil is ideal.  Perhaps that what he showed me, not sure. 
I would like to know what all of you suggest... thanks in advance.

Comments

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    This is what I use. Seems to do the trick. 

Howard BBB012 Cutting Board Oil, 12-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G6X0J2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_J.x3zb9DBV93T
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Mineral oil from your local pharmacy is ideal.
    Cheaper too.  Most of those "specialized" care products, you are paying extra for the label.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought two unfinished wooden peels (pine) about 25 years ago. If I cut the pie on the peel, I wash after using. Otherwise, i don't. They have never been oiled. They have never split, cracked or warped either.

All mineral oil is "food grade". It is consumable, a laxative in fact, to be taken orally. Go to the pharmacy section of Walmart or your local grocery store. Read the label. I use it on my cutting board.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2017
    Options

If you melt some bees wax into the mineral oil and apply  it warm, the resulting treatment lasts forever compared to mineral oil alone.  It cools as you apply it leaving a waxy coating. Rub off excess with a terrycloth towel.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i dont use anything on the wooden peel, the flour that helps the pie not to stick seems to stay on the untreated peel well. i oil the cutting block once a year with the wax type oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    if it catches fire put it out as quickly as possible.

true story.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania