Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heads up Pizza Fans--Panera Dough

Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMGP0470.JPG?dc=4675592081690407239
<p />I don't know how far Panera Bread Co. has spread its wings across the country, but they are all over Florida. They recently came out with a pizza called a Crispini. My local store was very willing to sell me their dough for 2.00 each. It makes a great, thin 12 inch zah. The dough is not something they advertise for sale, but the manager had no problem selling it. I now have 3 good sources for dough, plus my own!
Panera dough is so much better on the Egg than in the store, it's not even close. A little fruitwood or alder chips when it hits the Egg and it's a thing of beauty.
My brilliant wife pointed out the doughs are perfect calzone size.
Scott

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Scotty's Inferno,
    Had a coupon for a free crispini and got one last week. I didn't care for it personally. I got the black pepper chicken. It was more like a cracker with cheese and chicken on it. Might have to investigate it and obviously not roll it out so thin for the egg. [p]Thanks for the heads up.

• dhuffjr, no comparison between the store and on the egg w/a stone. Also, your right, I did not roll it at all, just stretched by hand, so it was thicker.
    Scott

• Scotty's Inferno,
    thanks for the tip. ..we have panera's all over the place around here (northern virginia). .. i'll have to give that one a try. . .[p]thanks

• JD
    JD Posts: 30
    Scotty's Inferno,
    That looks good.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    How long will this dough keep?
    Thanks,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg, I'm not sure. Maybe one day in the fridge?

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Scotty's Inferno,
    We have a new one here in norcal next to a pizza parlor that wouldn't sell me any dough because of liability problems?? [p]Will stop in and see if they will sell me some. Love pizza on the egg, but not enough time to make and rest the dough.

• Scotty's Inferno,
    I too am from Florida and thanks for the Panera Bread tip.
    What are your other two sources for pizza dough? I see they have some in Publix but have never tried it in fact I have never tried making pizza butwant to. I also see that there is a pizza stone they sell in Publix.Do you know if that is condusive for the Egg?

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,501
    Morning GATOR BOB:[p]I have used the Publix dough quite a few times and it works well. I haven't used the Panera dough yet, but plan on checking it out soon.[p]Where in the Tampa area are you located (I'm in Brandon)?[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    GATOR BOB, My other 2 sources are Alphonso's Pizza @ Bearss and Florida and New York Best pizza on Dale Mabry just south fo Erlich. The new york joint is only willing to sell an uncooked pizza though. They think I'm going to steal their recipe by doing some kind of an analysis on it! Alphonsos is the most authentic.
    Scott
    PS-We met at the Egg Fest. I was cooking stuffed peppers and shrooms. Have a good one.