Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Good News Story: The NRA has now granted permission to the U.S. Govt to perform its duties

" . . .The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations. "

Bless their hearts!
 B) 
https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/
 :| 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    I'm in agreement with that but it  will just whet their appetite for more regulations: high capacity magazines, specific calibers, seizing guns from people only accused rather than convicted of domestic violence. Note that I am not disagreeing with this one action, it was the opinion of the veterans and NRA members at the Old Codgers breakfast meeting at Whataburger that these devices would never have been approved. I'm just predicting the future demands.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2017
    Obama missed the mark on this one in 2010, didn't he?  Ironic, he's one of the "loudest" for gun control.

Seems like someone, even long after his presidency, is always one step ahead of the man, who tells other countries to "cut it out", and draws lines in the sand, and hands out $100,000,000 checks to keep the peace.  Obama playing checkers, to Putin's chess match. 

If this shoe was on the other, right foot, you would here about the Administration's failure and cause for this unfortunate, horrific, traumatic, event in the media for weeks....weeks!

Buchanan, LBJ, or Carter are still the worst Dem Presidents, but Obama's gainin' on 'em, fast.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2017
    I'm in agreement with that but it  will just whet their appetite for more regulations: high capacity magazines, specific calibers, seizing guns from people only accused rather than convicted of domestic violence. Note that I am not disagreeing with this one action, it was the opinion of the veterans and NRA members at the Old Codgers breakfast meeting at Whataburger that these devices would never have been approved. I'm just predicting the future demands.
    You needn't worry @GulfCoastGuy .
    The NRA controls the spigot and will allow only this one drop to fall.  If that.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    edited October 2017
    Focker said:
    Obama missed the mark on this one in 2010, didn't he?  Ironic, he's one of the loudest for gun control.

Seems like someone, even long after his presidency, is always one step ahead of the man, who tells other countries to "cut it out", and draws lines in the sand.

If this shoe was on the other, right foot, you would here about the Administration's failure and cause for this unfortunate, horrific, traumatic, event in the media for weeks....weeks!

Buchanan, LBJ, or Carter are still the worst Dem Presidents, but Obama's gainin' on 'em, fast.
    Great point, @Focker .  You're so right!
    If only President Obama had done more to oppose gun violence . . . 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Here we go
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Sardonicus

You don't have to ride if you don't want to.
     :) 

• jabam
    I’m all buckled up
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Sardonicus
    edited October 2017

'Fun' topic, I guess, but . . .
     . . . people died.  Others are still in hospitals.

• I am almost always in the camp of less regulation. 

Bump stocks, Sig braces, pistol "rifle" adapters, open carrying ARs, etc is just bad business for gun owners. Whether you believe in regulation or not, they don't help the majority of legal gun owners doing the right thing. 

Trump got elected for Dems doing the same thing. They took freedom and ran too far with it. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. 

But there's always that one D-bag who F's it up for everyone. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Sardonicus
    I am almost always in the camp of less regulation. 

Bump stocks, Sig braces, pistol "rifle" adapters, open carrying ARs, etc is just bad business for gun owners. Whether you believe in regulation or not, they don't help the majority of legal gun owners doing the right thing. 

Trump got elected for Dems doing the same thing. They took freedom and ran too far with it. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. 

The NRA has always been in the camp of less regulation.  Until now.

A skeptic, I'm not convinced that today's declaration from the NRA is anything more than a P.R. tactic.  
    Time, and The NRA's servants' votes in the House and Senate. will tell.

• But... but but what about all those people who want to hunt deer with automatic weapons?!?!?  Something like this would impinge on their freedumb!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sardonicus

So far this year, there have been 232 gunshot victims in Philidelphia.  Anybody care?

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    "Additional regulation" to the NRA is a tax stamp. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    But... but but what about all those people who want to hunt deer with automatic weapons?!?!?  Something like this would impinge on their freedumb!!!
    Those deer are super fast man. It's hard to take out a whole herd with just a regular semi auto. 

You need to get in the woods and learn some stuff. And stuff. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I am almost always in the camp of less regulation. 

The NRA has always been in the camp of less regulation.  Until now.

A skeptic, I'm not convinced that today's declaration from the NRA is anything more than a P.R. tactic.  
    Time, and The NRA's servants' votes in the House and Senate. will tell.

I posted this comment earlier today in the sunk thread - 

I see that the NRA is now trying to kill off a complete ban on bump stock mods by saying that "MAYBE some regulations MIGHT be needed" but they are instead urging lawmakers to pass the "National Right-to-Carry" reciprocity laws cuz, you know, the way to deal with bad guys with guns is to have more good guys with guns BS.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    But... but but what about all those people who want to hunt deer with automatic weapons?!?!?  Something like this would impinge on their freedumb!!!
    Those deer are super fast man. It's hard to take out a whole herd with just a regular semi auto. 

You need to get in the woods and learn some stuff. And stuff. 
    Lernin stuff, is good.
    https://youtu.be/hL3MjTcScjI
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    The regulations are so different in each state to get a concealed weapon permit that a national right to carry is not a great idea as it currently stands.  In NC and SC for example, I had to take a 8hr class that included qualifying with a handgun. In SC, I even had to qualify drawing from a holster. Here in GA, all I had to do was get fingerprinted and pay the fee. (Background checks in all scenarios of course). Why would the Carolinas want someone from GA carrying concealed in their states with no firearms training if they require their own citizens to be properly trained? I wouldn't. 
  • Sardonicus
    edited October 2017

Hmm . . .
    In Our nation, roughly 4 mass shootings occur per day.
    https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data

Anybody care?

Would statistics re bump stock involvement help stoke your outrage?
    Or is it something else?

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Whatever......if this gets passed they'll just call them a device and you'll have to get a tax stamp or fill out a second background check for one.  Chances are there will be lawsuits as you can't ban people from the action of bump firing (i.e. are they going to ban belt loops or the right stance and grip??)  I've bump fired before with and without the stock mods......it's just a waste of ammo.  It's inaccurate, unnatural, and only fun for a little bit.

So if the gun grabbers want them, fine, take them.  They've been around for 5+ years and are all over the market, and anyone that wants one with already have a "pre-ban" one.  Then just like high cap mags during the AWB, it will just drive the price up on the grandfathered ones.  Binary triggers are the new thing anyway.  Nobody is going to screw with bump stocks after those get perfected.

But it comes down to the wannabe's.  Those of us that want and have the money for the true automatics, already have them.  Those that don't, are not going to spend $200 on a tax stamp and wait a year to buy a bump/slide stock.  If they really want one, they're going to mod the fire control group and make it automatic.  So you took something legal that had it's limitations, and by taking it away, went back to the days of people making auto-sears and disconnectors with a simple vertical mill in their garage.  Look at what they did with the oil filter or solvent filter adapters being sold for use as suppressors. 

Good luck stopping evil, but even better luck trying to stop HONEST people with taxes and undue scrutiny......that pushes them over the edge to start skirting the law.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Yeah, since 2013, if anyone is keeping score, mass shootings have injured over 6000 people, and killed over 1600, and the year is not over for 2017, so by the end of the year, those numbers will grow. I am curious how many of these incidents used bump stocks or other questionable upgrades in the process?

In a country that has over 270 million firearms, I think the NRA's position on this is nothing more than a grain of sand, at the very top, of a massive sand dune.

With 5 % of the worlds population, we have 31% of the mass shooting deaths.
    This is why I have firearms. It is not about freedom, it is about having a chance for survival for my family.

Just saying. Screw the NRA, get congress off their payroll. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited October 2017
    Preach!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Oh we're doing this instead? Ok, I'm down  

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Sardonicus
    Damn.
    Talk about Root Cause.

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Serious question (from someone who doesn't understand the nuances of US gun ownership per state):
    Would it really be so much of a problem if in the US you had to apply for gun ownership licenses, be interviewed by a cop, have a home visit to ensure you are storing them safely? Not sure if any of this currently happens in the US but this is how it works in the UK. People who have a reason to own a gun (i.e. Sport, hunting) get a gun. People who are crazy, careless, deemed untrustworthy, don't.  

Although different to the US, home or self defence is not a valid reason to own a gun in the UK. 

I grew up on a farm and shot shotguns from age 11 (clay pigeons and birds). So I'm not anti gun. Plus I LOVE admin so it's win win. 

• jabam
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Gun owner and believe in gun rights. But, common sense gun laws don't seem too ridiculous for the majority to agree on. Don't politicize what has been done over and over. It feels like two kids in the backseat poking each other "he touched me!" "nuhuh she started it!"  Until finally dad gets sick of it and says do you want me to pull this car over!? Look bump stocks and other devices have been around a LONG time.  The Obama Administration allowed them, the design etc was approved by ATF. Personally I don't give a rat's a$$ who did what. I don't care if it was a liberal or conservative period! At the end of the day it doesn't freaking matter! Each side has their point of view.... Always has and always will. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • TheToast said:
    Serious question (from someone who doesn't understand the nuances of US gun ownership per state):
    Would it really be so much of a problem if in the US you had to apply for gun ownership licenses, be interviewed by a cop, have a home visit to ensure you are storing them safely? 

You mean make it as difficult to own a gun as it is to adopt a child?  That's... that's crazy talk!!

The argument against this sort of thing inevitably comes down to the ridiculous notion that you'd simply be infringing on the rights and freedumb of ordinary citizens, when criminals can still do whatever they want, just like they can in the U.K. where you guys also have tons of mass shootings and gun deaths.  Oh wait a minute...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike