Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Live fire T-Bones

I have been wanting to do some live fire cooking for a while so last night I pulled the trigger and did some T-Bone steaks on my fire pit.  I used some pecan wood for the fire.  No idea how hot the fire was but it cooked the steaks in under 5 minutes.  

Sorry for the lack of a good plated picture we had been drinking and it slipped our mind prior to eating.  They were very good and taste difference between the live fire and a normal grill was refreshing. 
Large & 36" Blackstone
Memphis, TN

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Your set-up provides some healthy cooking real-estate that you put to great use.  Congrats.
    For me-you can achieve close to the same with caveman style on the BGE as long as you have some long tongs to play with the steaks and flaming lump.  But you don't have the cooking area to finish them all at once.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cmclean
    cmclean Posts: 45
    lousubcap said:
    Your set-up provides some healthy cooking real-estate that you put to great use.  Congrats.
    For me-you can achieve close to the same with caveman style on the BGE as long as you have some long tongs to play with the steaks and flaming lump.  But you don't have the cooking area to finish them all at once.   
    Yea the grate on the pit is almost 41" so I moved them out to the side some after searing to finish the cook.  I just have to rotate them some so all sides got even heating
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Love it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    very cool
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    That rig is awesome.  The steaks look great too!

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Too Cool!  Thanks for posting it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    What did you have for dinner after you ate those tiny little appetizers (at least that's how the grill make them look)?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cmclean
    Foghorn said:
    What did you have for dinner after you ate those tiny little appetizers (at least that's how the grill make them look)?
    Haha yea the grill is nearly 41" in diameter so it makes anything look small. 
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Man oh man, I want that cauldron.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

SICK setup!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Dude, are you coming to Brisket Camp 4?

If so, you should bring your rig
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • cmclean
    edited October 2017
    Legume said:
    Man oh man, I want that cauldron.
    You can actually buy them online from a company called Titan
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• cmclean
    20stone said:
    Dude, are you coming to Brisket Camp 4?

If so, you should bring your rig
    I wish, but Ill be in Oxford cheering on the Rebs against LSU that weekend maybe next year though!
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN