Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Ware SS Vented Chimney Cap

Options
This cap keeps popping on my AMZN account...anyone use one or something similar, benefits to use, etc.?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    More people love them than hate them.

It drove me nuts that there was the DFMT to cook with, and  another piece to snuff out the fire. And after a few beers, I tend to forget to check if the DFMT screws are aligned perpendicular to the handle,  to keep it from swinging around and messing with the temp.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Just about every BGE I sell leaves with one of those and a Kick Ash Basket.  If they don't, it's usually something they come back and get later.  I still use my DMFT when grilling and the SW cap when I'm smoking.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@KB22  Welcome to the forum.  The Smokeware Cap is a popular item around here.  There are a few who don't see the point of it though.

It looks good.  It keeps the rain out.  It won't rust like the daisy wheel.  And I like the look of the egg.  I've got three of them and would consider it a must have for any egg on my deck.

Phoenix 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have one and love it.  I also like how I can keep it open to keep my egg ventilated in between cooks to prevent any moisture.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Heartily recommend the Smokeware cap and kick ash basket. The cap stays put on your setting and it keeps rain and snow out while smoking/cooking. The Kick ash basket means no more clogged vent holes in the fire pit during long cooks and it makes cleaning much easier.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Love the Smokeware cap - keeps the rain out.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • KB22
    KB22 Posts: 22
    Options
    Looks like a few more accessories...
  • KB22
    KB22 Posts: 22
    Options
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have one. I use it when it's raining or snowing. Otherwise, it sits in my gasser. It's not an incredibly necessary accessory, but it is nice to have.  
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker