Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar lump

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,505
edited October 2017 in Off Topic
Been using a scrap Weber gas cook box for burning wood to season CI pans and clean burn ceramics etc. Threw some red hot cedar chunks into a portable mini kettle to choke the fire. Ended up with aromatic feather light cedar lump!  Any good for smoking salmon instead of cedar plank?

canuckland

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Only one way to find out, Gary! :)
    My first guess is that it may be a bit strong for fish since it's burning rather than just warmed up like a plank.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Can't think of any evergreen which produces palatable smoke, especially cedar.  Resins are too intense.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Very cool.  I would think something quick, like shrimp maybe or lamb chops would be good with a kiss of cedar.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited October 2017
    @caliking I was thinking of using just 1 or 2 pieces for smoke, not 100% as fuel.
    @scdaf I'm just funning/fooling around, the small cedar chunks were red hot when I choked it, end product is very light and brittle. You think there's still nasty resin in it?  I have no clue to be honest.
    @Legume I'll probably experiment with a small item when cooking/eating solo!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @caliking I was thinking of using just 1 or 2 pieces for smoke, not 100% as fuel.
    @scdaf I'm just funning/fooling around, the small cedar chunks were red hot when I choked it, end product is very light and brittle. You think there's still nasty resin in it?  I have no clue to be honest.
    @Legume I'll probably experiment with a small item when cooking/eating solo!
    Doh! Don't know why i didn't think of that :) I just (wrongly) assumed you were going to cook all on cedar lump. 

A piece or two should add a nice aroma and flavor.  Try it and report back please! Now I'm curious.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.