Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Homemade Bratwurst

lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,707
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
October is around the corner so making a 20# batch. I have used the recipe from Smokey Ribs and it is great- I tweaked it a bit as Veal is $$$ and hard to get where I am, you can go All pork , I used Pork Cheek Meat in place of the Veal. Also 1 head of garlic per 5 pounds 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes per 5 pounds 1 teaspoon Insta Cure 1 per 5 pounds- Here is the original recipe 

Brats

·         3 Pounds Pork

·         2 Pounds Veal

·         2 Tablespoons Salt

·         2 Teaspoons All Spice

·         2 Teaspoons Nutmeg

·         ½ teaspoon ground ginger

·         2 teaspoons white pepper

·         3 eggs

·         1 cup milk

·         Double grind

Here is the Video

https://youtu.be/rMsaIJ4eXSU

Here is my first grind 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    1) This is decidedly ON TOPIC - and if it isn't, we need to change the topic.  Brats are at the core of my egging heart (and may, at some point, stop said heart)

2) You look to know what you are doing, but for everyone else, a scale is your friend when it comes to salt and sausage.

3) Heavy cream instead of milk is a pretty good call next time out

Thanks for putting this up.  I need to get the grinder out.  Too much stuff in the SV is making me soft.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    Thanks @20stone , haven't mixed my milk yet so I will pick up the heavy cream..thanks for the advice...I also add Insta cure 1. 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds even though its fresh , I think it helps the final product a bit

You are absolutely correct on weighing, once I really started doing that to get my salt to meat ratio correct, everything else is just for flavor
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    lkapigian said:
    ...I also add Insta cure 1. 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds even though its fresh , I think it helps the final product a bit

You are absolutely correct on weighing, once I really started doing that to get my salt to meat ratio correct, everything else is just for flavor
    I add the Cure 1 as well..... and I weigh it.

The sweet spot for me is:
    • Salt - 1.25% of total meat weight (including fat)
    • Cure 1 - 0.25% of total meat weight (for fresh sausages like brats)
    Agreed on "everything else."  I turn @20stonespice who tinkers with everything else until she's happy.... And when she's happy, I'm happy.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    @20stone how about your liquids? I go about 8oz per 5 lbs...ish..my salt is right where you are, but may go up to 2%
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    lkapigian said:
    @20stone how about your liquids? I go about 8oz per 5 lbs...ish..my salt is right where you are, but may go up to 2%

For 5lbs of brats, I use 250g of heavy cream (~11% by weight).  A little googling indicated that is right at a cup (which is probably how I got to 250g in the first place).  Your recipe has more eggs than mine, but I think that is a good move.

One thing I finally learned (after having read and ignored it in each of the several sausage making books I have) is the importance of mixing the sausage after the grind until it gets good and sticky (Palm test - a small patty should stick to your palm upside down)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:

For 5lbs of brats, I use 250g of heavy cream (~11% by weight).  A little googling indicated that is right at a cup (which is probably how I got to 250g in the first place).  Your recipe has more eggs than mine, but I think that is a good move.

One thing I finally learned (after having read and ignored it in each of the several sausage making books I have) is the importance of mixing the sausage after the grind until it gets good and sticky (Palm test - a small patty should stick to your palm upside down)
    Agreed , not much talking about Myosin, my first few were a bit crumbly --more like ground meat in a casing...I think Scott Rea is really one of the only Youtubers that go into it.......But this is what makes the Journey into anything we do fun, the learning Process- Just wish I was better at keeping a Journal 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:

Agreed , not much talking about Myosin, my first few were a bit crumbly --more like ground meat in a casing...I think Scott Rea is really one of the only Youtubers that go into it.......But this is what makes the Journey into anything we do fun, the learning Process- Just wish I was better at keeping a Journal 
    My two smart moves were:
    • Putting all my recipes in a spreadsheet that converted to % of weight, so I can easily scale up or down depending on how much of each type of meat I have.  This also makes it much easier to conform the salt level in all my recipes to what I like (vs Ruhlman, which I find universally too salty for me).
    • Suckering in other folks to help.  It is amazing how much of how many kinds of sausage you can bang out when you have 3 or 4 sets of hands at work
    I have a much longer list of stupid moves, but, hopefully, I've learned from them.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Looking good brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Yumm.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Great project.  Looking good so far.

As one of @20stone's sets of helping hands I can tell you that his Excel spreadsheets are spot on.  Allows for proper adjustment based on whatever weight of additives you are using.

And the cream in the brats is money.  We haven't compared cream vs milk directly, but I was able to have folks blind taste test storebought Johnsonville Originals vs creamless brats that we made vs brats we made with cream added and everyone agreed the brats made with cream were the winners.  Johnsonville Originals (which are great brats) came in last.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Why are you guys using cure #1 for fresh sausage? Not criticizing at all,  but I saw @lkapigian used it in andouille sausage recipie before, and I am wondering why you would use it in this application. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Great, and timely, post!  Its getting cooler here (finally) and I have a new LEM stuffer to try out (my KitchenAid grinder is still good enough for me; the stuffer, no).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 20stone
    edited September 2017
    Sea2Ski said:
    Why are you guys using cure #1 for fresh sausage? Not criticizing at all,  but I saw @lkapigian used it in andouille sausage recipie before, and I am wondering why you would use it in this application. 
    Some recipes use Cure 1 in fresh sausage recipes for color/texture changes, much like you see in cured ham or bacon.  If it is made safely (kept cold, kept clean, cooked sufficiently) there are no safety reasons to do so.  FYI, Cure 1 is mostly normal salt (bulked up with it so it can be more easily measured), so you reduced the regular salt quantity by the amount used.

With sausages that you cold smoke (like andouille), it does apply a safety measure for the botulism bug (rare, but no bueno).

For a more complete discussion, you might look at the Marianski book on the subject:
    (https://www.amazon.com/Home-Production-Quality-Meats-Sausages/dp/0982426739)

Botch said:
    ....Its getting cooler here (finally) and I have a new LEM stuffer to try out (my KitchenAid grinder is still good enough for me; the stuffer, no).  
    Congrats on the new stuffer.  It will spoil you for sure.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Thanks @20stone I know/knew that it cure 1 will give a pink color to the pork, and it gives some protection from the nasties but I was not sure about doing anything else. I would never have thought about using it for fresh. I might try it for color and maybe texture (thinking it may firm it up a bit?) not sure. I am pretty happy with what I make but I guess you don't know what you are missing till you try it.  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • 20stone
    Sea2Ski said:
    I might try it for color and maybe texture (thinking it may firm it up a bit?) not sure. I am pretty happy with what I make but I guess you don't know what you are missing till you try it.  
    It's easy enough to do a side by side. My favorite thing about making sausage is that you get to tinker and tailor it to your own palate.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Would you have that receipt to share?
  • 20stone
    Below is the last one we did, modified just a little.  I am scaling up the eggs just a little and eliminating the binder.  After looking at it, I don't use Cure 1 in our brats (or other fresh sausages).  I do in andouille and Tejas, as we cold smoke both of those.

This is a hybrid from Ruhlman and Rytek, with salt adjusted to our taste.

Pork - 100% (I normally do 5kg at a shot, but we're a little crazy)
    Salt - 1.5%
    White pepper - 0.27%
    Ground ginger - 0.04% (I would use grated fresh next time)
    Nutmeg - 0.10%
    Mace - 0.10%
    Eggs - 1 egg per 2kg (I would add another next time)
    Heavy cream - 11.11%

This is very similar to the OP recipe, w mace subbed for allspice.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    Took @20stone advice and substituted Heavy Cream for Milk, Cut the eggs back by 1/3 everything else is the same--best ones I've done so far, and they have all been good

Loaded and Ready- Love this stuffer, only wished I got the 30 pounder

Stuffed in about 5 minutes- 

After a bit of on air dry- Thanks For Looking

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Dayum.  I've got to try that.

NOLA
  • 20stone
    GREAT LOOKING BRATS!

Nice work.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Great looking brats. 

I'd hit those all night. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    20stone said:
    GREAT LOOKING BRATS!

Nice work.
    Thanks @20stone Heavy Cream was a great idea...........wonder what butter milk would do in a sausage
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    lkapigian said:
    ..........wonder what butter milk would do in a sausage
    I would expect that the acid in the buttermilk would "tenderize" the meat and make the texture mushy, and, perhaps, not in a good way. On the other hand, there's one way to find out Mr. LEM Autostuffer
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:
    GREAT LOOKING BRATS!

Nice work.
    Thanks @20stone Heavy Cream was a great idea...........wonder what butter milk would do in a sausage
    I have subed Butter Milk in a few things and hated the sour flavor twang it added.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    Sea2Ski said:
    I started adding cure 1 to my fresh, not for safety but had seen a few people do it for color and a bit if a "texture" difference. It does preserve the color but I don't notice any real difference and I do like the bit of a "safety" aspect and having a little more leeway on what to do with it IE I may want to Smoke some like an Andouille...Plus I bough a Boat Load on Amazon and I have to do something with it  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:
    GREAT LOOKING BRATS!

Nice work.
    I have subed Butter Milk in a few things and hated the sour flavor twang it added.
    Thanks for the heads up--Note To Self  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lkapigian said:
    20stone said:
    GREAT LOOKING BRATS!

Nice work.
    Thanks for the heads up--Note To Self  =)
    Might be my fear of sour milk...Lol
    There was a great scallop potato recipe that I think Nola posted and it called for butter milk. I made it for Thanksgiving dinner and everyone said they liked it. I made it again with heavy cream and I liked it so much better.
    If you try it with Butter Milk let me know
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    Has a little left over after stiffing so made the conversion to Bratwurst Poppers

and a few @henapple Mexican Panty Droppers- The cherry is in there somewhere!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    lkapigian said:
    Took @20stone advice and substituted Heavy Cream for Milk, Cut the eggs back by 1/3 everything else is the same--best ones I've done so far, and they have all been good

Loaded and Ready- Love this stuffer, only wished I got the 30 pounder

Stuffed in about 5 minutes- 

After a bit of on air dry- Thanks For Looking

Wow!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• lkapigian
    edited October 2017