Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dryaging beef at home

Options
Any eggers dryage beef at home? I can't want to cook a dryage steak on the egg. Here's a link for anyone interested. Im around the 35+ day mark with 35 days left. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Many here do. I’ve got prime ribeye dry aging now. Only gonna go 35-45 days with it. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Looks good! Why the 70 day mark? I'm a 40 day guy myself. I've done 60 but I didn't find it to be as good as 40. Others here have done 100+ days
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    @WeberWho I prefer the taste at plus 60 days. The beef flavor is much more pronounced at 60 days or more I've done anywhere from 40 to 90. 

the article talks about the flavor profiles for 35 60 and 90 days. 
  • 510BG
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Many here do. I’ve got prime ribeye dry aging now. Only gonna go 35-45 days with it. 
    I'm waiting for the holidays to pick up a ribeye. I selected bone in ribeye last year. Bad idea
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    510BG said:
    @WeberWho I prefer the taste at plus 60 days. The beef flavor is much more pronounced at 60 days or more I've done anywhere from 40 to 90. 

the article talks about the flavor profiles for 35 60 and 90 days. 
    When you are "NOT" aging in a controlled environment you are at the mercy of your refrigerator and environmental conditions as to the amount of aging you get in a set amount of time. Your 60 days could be very similar to another persons 45 days or another persons 75 days. But as long as you like what you are getting that's the only goal.
    Can't wait to see the finished steaks...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggMcMic
    Options
    If you search you will find plenty of threads on here and several people who do a lot of dry aging. I did my first last year and had great results. Planning a second soon--waiting to find the right piece of meat when I have the $$ available! I went 45 days on mine but intend to go longer with the next one. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • 510BG
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    If you search you will find plenty of threads on here and several people who do a lot of dry aging. I did my first last year and had great results. Planning a second soon--waiting to find the right piece of meat when I have the $$ available! I went 45 days on mine but intend to go longer with the next one. 
    Costco has sales on whole strips durning the holiday season. Picked up one for $80 last year. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    40-45 days for me.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Enjoyed a 60 day dry aged ribeye tonight
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Bone in bone out any difference?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Just make sure you have a way to cut it afterwards 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Hans61 said:
    So no difference :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • 510BG
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    WeberWho said:
    Hans61 said:
    So no difference :-)
    No difference imo 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've yet to try aging some beef in a controlled environment but think I will try.

Here have always brought home venison, antelope or moose, peppered the outside, wrapped it in cheesecloth and hung it from a rafter in the garage in October when the temperatures are much more mild. After 3 weeks, took it down, butchered it and what wasn't cooked immediately was put in vacuum packs and frozen. 

Have done this for 40+ years. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • ttony604
    Options
    Try out this cool Dry Ager dedicated dry aging fridge, looks real cool. I'm tempted, pretty pricey!! Anyone lucky enough to try it out?
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ttony604 said:
    Try out this cool Dry Ager dedicated dry aging fridge, looks real cool. I'm tempted, pretty pricey!! Anyone lucky enough to try it out?
    No need. @ttony604 I would save the money and buy more protein. The regular fridge works great!  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ttony604
    Options
    Looks dam good!!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Looks awesome! 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .