Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need ideas/help for Toastmaster speech on BGE

Options
Mark from Utah
Mark from Utah Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]I joined toastmasters a few months back and I have to give a seven-minute speech on a topic of my choice in about a week. I have a large and a small Green Egg and thought it would be fun to talk about them and let others in Utah know what they are missing. I was hoping to do a few, you know you are a bge owner when ..., and maybe a few of the interesting and unusual terms unique to either the Green Egg or bbq, i.e. abts. I know over the years from reading the forum that there are a lot of these out there, but I cannot seem to find them now. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have any other ideas in regards to the Green Egg that I could include in my presentation? [p]Thanks a bunch, Mark from Utah

Comments

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    Mark from Utah,[p]I would include a lot of stuff from the Naked Whiz's website (like Ceramic FAQs).
    [ul][li]Naked Whiz's Ceramic FAQs[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    How many in the audience? I ask because it could be fun to give them a sample: say 1 ABT "boat" (jalapeno half stuffed) at either the beginning or the end of your presentation. While we prefer ours hot, when we've served them at a party even room temp ABTs disappear as if by magic.[p]Ken

• Texas Geezer
    Options
    Mark from Utah,[p]Whoo! I'd think the problem is NOT getting enough to talk about, but rather in paring down all the things you could talk about to only seven minutes.[p]I.e., if it were me, I'd have to pick a "theme" first.

• SkyRider
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    Mark...ditto on using some tech info from the Whiz...+ it might be interesting in your presentation to point out that what you are doing is using oriental technology that is 2-3000+ yrs old that has been brought into the 21st century...good luck & let us know how it turns out...as a matter of fact, if you can post a link to your presentation, it might be great for all to see...incl the mothership..........H.

• Mark from Utah,[p] After using these other fine ideas, if you still have time to fill, point out some of the unique issues which will fit almost everyone in your audience. Have them make mental comparisons of being out in cold and/or inclement weather, and either firing up a BGE with little or no worries, or lighting up any of a large list of heavy, steel cookers. How much fuel they will save, how stable the inside temps will remain when the dome is opened, how well insulated it is when the dome is closed, and how many less times they will need to 'de-rust' their BGE. Even if several have cooking volume needs beyond one BGE, they can have more than one, have more cooking flexibility, have much easier positioning and using issues, and still not incur any more real cost versus the big, honkin' steel cooker. I'm sure you can play this theme as long as you want to with your own thoughts and experiences.[p] I mention this with confidence because I am a nut about owning and using new and different 'toys', and I am still unable to find solid reasons to go out and pop for a large steel cooker, in the $1,200. to $3,000. price range, when my Lg BGE works so well. [p]Good luck ![p]Tom B (EggSport)
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya SkyRider,[p]I couldn't agree with you more! I think the appeal of the Egg is it's that fact that it's really "primative" cooking. I'm a big tent camper, fisherman, hiking, campfire type gal and I think the Egg appeals to that side of me. I really enjoy cooking with the Egg......or ...maybe I just like playing with fire :-) Would that make all us Eggers little pyromaniacs? LOL.[p]bbqdiva

[ul][li]My BGE Home Page[/ul]
  • Mark from Utah
    Options
    BlueSmoke (Ken)
    There are usually about 10 people or so at each meeting. A sample is a good idea, but getting it to them hot might be a challenge. Thanks for your help, Mark

• Mark from Utah
    Options
    bbqdiva,
    After looking at your web page, it reminded me to explain the difference btw barbecuing and grilling. Thanks, Mark

• Good idea, giving samples if fesible.
    Interesting thread.

• Mark from Utah,[p]Clicky here - scroll down to the thread titled "top 10 ways to tell you're hooked on the BGE" (posted by NorthWoodsEgger 1/20/06
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/246196.htm[/ul]