Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Short Ribs

Options
Toxarch
Toxarch Posts: 1,900
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
Came across some Prime Short Ribs at Costco. They usually sell them cut into individual ribs. On Fridays they have a separate display with a butcher setup and all he has is prime cuts. Noticed two cryo packs stuck in the very back of his case and I bought one.

Decided to try a sous vide on one slab. I know 24 hours is a minimum time but decided to try it anyway. Salt, pepper, garlic, and into a vac seal.

Ended up doing a Sous vide for 23.5 hours. Pulled it out, saved the juices for a sauce and then put it on the grill at 450° F for 3-4 minutes per side for a little bark on it. Put the juices on the stove with a little salt, sugar, worcestershire, bring to a boil, then off.

They came out tasting good. Used to a brisket taste during a low and slow and these were more like a New York strip. Going to try 48 hours next time to get them more tender.
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• Plutonium
    Options
    Looks good. What sous vide temp did you use?

I haven't done these yet, but am planning on doing 144F for 48 hours soon.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Toxarch
    Options
    I did 144 F for 23.5 hours. Next time will be same temp for 48 hours.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The chuck ribs are a lot tougher than the plate, so yeah, I can see going 48 hours.  I learned this when I did chucks and plate together.  Much more connective tissue in the chuck.

Unless you get chuck veal ribs, they cook like plate.
    Toxarch said:
    I did 144 F for 23.5 hours. Next time will be same temp for 48 hours.

Mine will finish tonight after 48 hours. Looking forward to these. Wife kept requesting "those smoked beef ribs", hopefully this will be an approved substitute.

Planning on searing on the egg, assuming it doesn't fall apart.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Toxarch
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Let us know how they turned out.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beautiful cook, thank you for sharing. I need to try the SV with these.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Plutonium
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Let us know how they turned out.

Came out very good. Super moist and very tender. Good bite and didn't just fall apart like pot roast. I'm not sure I'd call it "bbq" but it was absolutely delicious.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I didn’t like them much. The fat never rendered. I love my SV but not for these. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia