Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Blackstone Question.....

Options
I currently have a Weber gas grill to go along with my large BGE.  Would a blackstone replace my need for the gas grill?  I like the convenience of gas on nights where I want to cook something quickly without having to fire up the BGE.  Thoughts? 
Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I don't have a blackstone so I can't comment on that.  My gas grill died earlier this year.  I replaced it and use it for convenience mostly, like, um fajitas B)  it's also great for roasting corn when I'm not grilling anything else, expansion grill space or holding space when the egg is doing something else.  
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    BGE + Blackstone = expanded arsenal and "you are cool"
    BGE + gas grill = "not on this forum!!" 

Just kidding, but for most on here including me, their gas grill has gone to the curb based on lack of use. With practice, you can fire up an egg as fast as a gas grill.  

I have a blackstone, but honestly don't use it that much. It has come in very handy for large groups or different style eats (breakfast/philly cheesesteak/smash burgers.  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I think the blackstone could replace your gasser if you just use it quick cooks/convenience needs.  Really depends on what your cooking.  The BS cooks just about anything you'd grill.  It does require a little more clean-up than your gasser but it is an outstanding cooker.  My gasser lives unused in the garage.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i use all three, gassers are good for lots of corn or veggie skewers when the steaks cooking on the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I don't have a gasser any more, and don't miss it.  

The BS is the most widely used item for me.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    edited September 2017
    Options
    gassers are also good for delegating sides for others to cook when youre working on the main course
    ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You already have a "Blackstone". Just get a 1/4" steel plate the size of your gasser grid. When you want a flat top, lay it on top of the grid. When you want a standard gasser, set the plate aside. Couple of D-handles welded on would be handy.

Or cut the steel plate in half so if you need a gas grid AND a flat top, you can just use one piece of the steel. Or use both if you want a full size griddle.

I don't have a gasser, but I've done it with a kettle. Bit of a pain with a charcoal grill though. I wound up buying a 22" Blackstone (but I rarely use it).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2017
    Options
    For us, the BGE & BStone combo is much better than the BGE & gasser combo.

Remember, @SuperCooper , though the Blackstone is most popular on this forum,
    there are other flat top grills out there.  Camp Chef has what appears to be a decent alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAoGUup8rXk

There are others.  Several.

Enjoy the hunt,
    savor the kill grill - whichever you choose.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Why not have all three?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    My large BGE and my 36 inch BS is all the cooking aresnal I need. The BS is so versatile we don't even use our stove much. To be honest the BS gets the most use here... your variety of meals is endless with both...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Love my new 36" blackstone. Cooked quesadillas tonight. Every cooker has its place. Kamado for all the usual, blackstone for smash burgers, fajitas, quesadillas, phillies and breakfast so far. Single burner cooker for camp cooking. Gas grill for corn and grilled oysters and such. And a southern steamer for oysters, boiled peanuts and lowcountry boil, a bushel at a time. You can do a lot of those items with less cookers but not as efficient or as fun. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I currently have a Weber gas grill to go along with my large BGE.  Would a blackstone replace my need for the gas grill?  I like the convenience of gas on nights where I want to cook something quickly without having to fire up the BGE.  Thoughts? 

I think your BGE does more to replace the gas grill than the Blackstone.  Blackstone - think quesadillas, breakfast fair, sandwiches, fried rice, smashburgers etc

I think a BGE and Blackstone makes a pretty great combination.  The only think that makes me miss my gasser, is when I season cast iron.  That's it.

I won't tell you to get rid of the gasser, but I can almost guarantee you won't regret the purchase of a Blackstone.
    Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Put the Blackstone in your gas grill.