Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchasing a new Egg... What do I need?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to purchase a large BGE very soon... I will either purchase or build a suitable table... What I need to know is what exactly will I need to get off to a good start? Upgrades, tools, firebricks, etc... I'm a complete novice but really want to get into this... any suggestions would be very welcome...

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    genehil, Welcome to the forum.
    You will see pro's and con's on firebricks vs ceramic pizza stones vs plate sitters. A plate sitter is a ceramic flat circular device with 3 legs to support it. [p]I will kick start this one with only one suggestion and that is if you plan on using any type of ceramic or firebrick use a cheap iron welded rod grill. (Weber makes several, both chromed and plain jane that will work)
    It will rust and look like the dickens but you won't ruin it's finish. Porcelain is not suitable as the extreme heat from the brick or stones will tarnish and remove the porcelain. [p]Onward and upward..and again, welcome aboard.[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    genehil,
    Hello and glad to meet you.
    For starting out, here are some items I think are very useful and will make your life easier.
    Get the Daisy/Slider Top, Ash Tool, Rib/Roast rack, Dome thermometer, Polder, pizza stone and bricks. With this you can cook most anything, although there are a few gadgets that will help (i.e. plate setter, grille lifter, etc.), but I find that these are all the extras I really 'need' ;). I did get a remote polder after talking to TimM and I really like it, but it is not an absolute must, but a really neat addition after you get your basic stuff.
    (If you really want something neat, get a pigtail food flipper! ;) I love it!)
    JMO, and hope this helps,
    ChefRD

• genehil,
    Geno,
    All the previous posts back to you hit the nail on the head.
    Nothing to add here, but unless you're willing to shell serious bucks for a pre-made table, or are willing and capable of building one for yourself, almost immediately, I can't stress enough, the value of the Egg Nest. Not cheap, but especially purchased in conjunction with the fold-down side tables, you can really take your sweet time in planning the design and modifications to whatever you end up building. I'm a six-week old Egger, and the nest w/side tables has been great, and allowed me to concentrate on how beautifully this thing cooks, trying out new recipes, learning from the gang here on the forum.....and not worry about if the Egg will fall over, burn something/someone up, or if my back will go out from stooping over to tend to it.
    Stay plugged in, as you learn something new everytime you check the forum..Adios

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    genehil,[p] Welcome, as the others mentioned, a daisy top, pizza stone,
    ash tool & I personally use a electric starter, but most seem to prefer the fire starter cubes.Also a big yes to the roasting rack as advised by ChefRD.As you go along, you will end up with alot more items, but all are fun to have.[p]Earl

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Earl,
    As a newbie with very little BGE knowledge, what is a rib/ roasting rack as Chefrd refers to.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    JJ,[p] Best you & Kathy get over to Waldorf MD for Eggfest & I'll show you what they look like. Better still, bring your's and we can cook together. LOL[p]Regards[p]Earl & Barb
  • View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=37534218
    <p />genehil, Everybody here gave you great advice. I would add a few slabs of babyback ribs, a rump roast sliced for beef jerky, and some thick steaks. Good to have you.[p]CWM

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Earl,
    We made our reservations at Comfort Inn today, see you there.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    ChefRD, OK I'll bite. What's a "pigtail fodd flipper"?

• Wise One
    Wise One, That is "pigtail food flipper".

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Char-Woody,
    Sir...just to follow what you just said about heat and porcelain, and since I`m a newbie...is it safe to say that when you veteran eggers are cooking hi temp..500-700 deg. or so..you don`t use the porcelain grid?????
    I plan on purchasing a steel one as a second grid anyway....just asking so I don`t screw up the good one, should I remove the porcelain grid before doing hi temp cooks????[p]Thanks..
    Wess

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Wise One,
    Hello, its a very simple device that works well. (my favorite kind ;))
    All it is, is a long tapered rod, sharpened on one end and bent in the same shape as the end of the ash too. (the weird shaped end, not the scooping out end)
    It works super for flipping steaks when the Egg is in the inferno mode. The handle on the large one allows you to easily reach in and hook the meat to turn without ever getting your hands close to the coals. The small one is occasionally used inside when cooking meat in a pan.
    Like I said, super simple, but sure makes turning steaks over during high temps much easier.
    JMHO, and I'm in no way affiliated with them.
    later,
    ChefRD

[ul][li]pigtail flipper[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    WessB,
    I haven't, and have heard of no one else, that has had any problem using the porcelain grate at high temps.
    JimW

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    genehil,
    I don't think anyone mentioned a good sturdy drip pan, preferably at least 9" by 13". You can use disposable aluminum ones but I find that getting one of those that is filled with liquid off the Egg can be quite tricky.
    JimW

• Wise One
    JimW, I think C~W's issue is when you use it at coal level (i.e. on top of the firebox below the fire-ring) it tends to get a little hotter than the 750 that you experience with grilling those wonderful steaks. Personally, I don't think there are any issues if you keep it on top of the fire ring or higher. Let's face it. I have not even destroyed a thin aluminum pan sitting on top of grill yet.

• Got two places, house and a cottage, got two BGE. Bought the first one, didn't want to shell out anymore cash for the nest, planned on building a wagon. As winter came I missed my favorite toy, the BGE and brought it home from the lake place, mostly to cook the Chirstmas turkey. The first BGE is still sitting on the deck. Bought a second BGE for the lake place and bought the nest this time, love it.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Wise One, just to clarify this one, and I am late in finding it...the firebricks will damage porcelain grill that they are laying on no matter where you place the grill.[p]I have yet to use a grill between the firering and the firechamber. Some folks have adapted for their cooks. I find my best cooks for what I do is in using the upper chamber to its highest potential.[p]You can increase meat volume in a low and slow cook by lowering the grate to the midsection as this won't interfere with air flow supply or heat distributions in area above the lowered grill. then double or triple stacking grills.[p]Not true in higher temperature cooks like steak..etc, unless you want to do your steaks right over the hot coals. Some folks have tried this also, but you need some hefty long leather gloves for arm protection and long tongs.[p]Hope this helps..
    C~W[p]