Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prolific Weekend Egging

Options
I had two family members visit us from out of town and took the opportunity to make my first widely eaten meals on the Egg. Here's a run down.

Friday Dinner
Appetizers:
ABTs
Swamp Venom Shrimp

Dinner:
Grilled Chicken Thighs
1/2 Jamaican Firewalk 
1/2 BBQ

Friday night put on the 10 lbs pork shoulder

Saturday Lunch
Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Saturday Dinner
T Rexed New York Strips

This was far and away the most significant cooking experience so far on the Egg. My family was impressed with all the dishes and the versatility.

Here's a photo of the ABTs. The rest got eaten before I got the chance for photos.

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Options
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks and sounds fantastic!  Great job!  Much more adventurous than I've ever been.  I usually just plan one meal at a time, not a whole w/e worth.  Very impressive!  :)

T-rex used to be my main thing for steaks, and I had kind of a chip on my shoulder about the "reverse sear" everybody seemed to be talking about, all of a sudden, some years ago, now. But when I finally tried reverse sear, all of a sudden it was really obvious why most people do it that way, now:  It just takes a long time to get a really hot BGE down to low-and-slow temps, whereas it hardly takes any time at all to crank up an egg to searing temps.  It just works better.  Or so I now think.  You might want to do a forum search for "reverse sear" and read up on it if you're interested.

Anyway, GREAT cooks!
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I didn't find it that hard to collapse the temperatures from 750 down to 400. I just shut down full and watched it. Took about the 20 minutes called for in the instructions.

The pork, on the other hand, did not cooperate for the overnight cook. Just ate pork enchiladas for dinner tonight but my wife handled that one with the leftover pork from Friday/Saturday.
    Mountain View, CA
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is a great weekend of deliciousness. Hope you had enough time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Stillwater, MN
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Family and BBQ win win. Looks great.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL