Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Composite egg mates painted

Picked up some composite egg mates off Craigslist. They needed to be restored. Here's the finish product. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Nice!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!
    Thanks I hope the paint holds up to the heat of the BGE
  • WeberWho
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!
    It should. I ended up spray painting camo on a set of mine. I also threw on some polyurethane for weather protection.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!
    It should. I ended up spray painting camo on a set of mine. I also threw on some polyurethane for weather protection.

So where do you buy a can of camo spray paint with that pattern? ;)

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 510BG
    Having second thoughts on the color. Considering black now. Color suggestions welcomed. 
  • WeberWho
    Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

That was all YouTube. This was my first time ever doing a camo pattern. I had to look it up! 

Minnesota
  • 510BG
    WeberWho said:
    Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

That was all YouTube. This was my first time ever doing a camo pattern. I had to look it up! 
    I looked at some videos. In the end I took the simple route. 
  • WeberWho
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

I like the green. Smart move. I was more less intrigued to see if the camo would hide dirt and grime of everyday use. Yours are going to look good all mounted up!

Minnesota
  • 510BG
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

I like the green. Smart move. I was more less intrigued to see if the camo would hide dirt and grime of everyday use. Yours are going to look good all mounted up!
    @WeberWho thinking about repainting with matt black 
  • WeberWho
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

@510BG I was tempted to do a black coat of bedliner on them at one point for the ultimate durability coat. I never end up going through with it. I ended up cutting out some oak pieces and staining them for my small and large egg. I still think bedliner might look badarse. Similar to a matte black finish  

Minnesota
  • 510BG
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

@510BG I was tempted to do a black coat of bedliner on them at one point for the ultimate durability coat. I never end up going through with it. I ended up cutting out some oak pieces and staining them for my small and large egg. I still think bedliner might look badarse. Similar to a matte black finish  
    If I had the tools and knowledge I would have preferred to make wood replacements. I'll need to look into bedliner paint 
  • Zmokin said:
    WeberWho said:
    510BG said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!

You can get it pretty much anywhere. Usually right beside the checkered paint. 
  • 510BG

Respraying flat black tomorrow 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited September 2017
    510BG said:

I have 2 comments on black.

One, since childhood it is my favorite color.  It's a family joke which is a true story that when I was little, I wanted my bedroom painted dark dark black.  My parents said no, so I asked if I could have it light black.  LOL  The answer was still NO.

Two, if it sits in the direct sun, black gets stinking hot.

So while I like the look of black, there are things where I avoid having them be black.

It's your egg, do what makes you happy.

BTW, if you saw my off-road BGE post, notice, I painted the custom base black.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 510BG
    Zmokin said:
    510BG said:

I have 2 comments on black.

One, since childhood it is my favorite color.  It's a family joke which is a true story that when I was little, I wanted my bedroom painted dark dark black.  My parents said no, so I asked if I could have it light black.  LOL  The answer was still NO.

Two, if it sits in the direct sun, black gets stinking hot.

So while I like the look of black, there are things where I avoid having them be black.

It's your egg, do what makes you happy.

BTW, if you saw my off-road BGE post, notice, I painted the custom base black.
    Point well taken about the heat and direct sun. I'll report back on the that subject next summer