Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lo and Slo - HOT and FAST (kinda) LOTS o pics.

Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I did the hot and fast low and slow.[p]First let me say that it was not a valid test. I had to leave for several hours this afternoon, so I lowered the temp while I was gone. However it did reveal some interesting things. Also let me tell you that these were "solution" included butts. They were marked down at Walmart so I bought them anyway.[p]P9300102.jpg[p]At 6:30 am this morning I injected them with Mojo Marinade. I let them sit on the counter until I got the Egg stabilized at 300 Dome. Actually it was 290.[p]P1010103.jpg[p]I put them on at 9 am.[p]P1010105.jpg[p]Here it is at 1 hour.
P9300106.jpg[p]Here it is at 2 hours.
P9300107.jpg[p]Here it is at 4.5 hours. At this point I was leaving and 1 butt was at 151 and the other was at 144. So I shut the egg down to what I thought would be about 250 DOME.
P9300109.jpg[p]When I got home at 9 hours into the cook the dome temp was at 200 degrees. The butt temps were at about 165 and 170. Tweaked the settings a little and headed out to the football game and dinner.[p] P9300111.jpg[p]13.5 hours into the cook, The larger butt is 192 degrees and wiggly. The smaller butt is 188 and still a little stiff.[p]P9300112.jpg[p]Pulled them both off the grill at those temps. Wrapped and went into pre-warmed cooler. Where they have been for about an hour.[p]P9300113.jpg[p]P9300114.jpg[p]

Comments

• Eggecutioner,[p]I think they look really good. Be sure and let us know how they pulled and how they tasted. Interested fan, AZ
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Eggecutioner,[p]Wow! Those look gorgeous. Ok, fill me in. You injected with Mojo. Is that Mojo on the outside as well? Also, did you smoke them with wood chips or just grill 'em? I used to use Mojo a lot. How's the salt content on that?[p]Again, those look great! [p]Thanks for the great pics and sharing,[p]bbqdiva
    [ul][li]http://www.bbqdiva.com/[/ul]
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Eggecutioner,
    Butts look great! I think a hotter fire getting the butts up to 140 internal within 4 hours is valid. Pork butts are a big chunk of meat that can use some extra heat to reach 140 then its a matter of gliding down for the plateau. I have not made pulled pork in a long time, now you got me thinking about it....:o)
    Clay

• AZ Traveler,[p]They taste good. Really good. Well I have only sampled the bark and what was attached to that. The big one was falling apart when I wrapped it for the cooler. So I am sure that one will pull just fine. The smaller one I hope comes out like it needs to be chopped.[p]If you have never tried Mojo marinade or Lechon Asado, I highly recommend it. My friends here on this forum turned me on to it and I have not looked back at "conventional" pulled pork since.[p]E

• bbqdiva,[p]Yes I injected the Mojo. That is what is on top of them as well. I used Oak chunks for smoke. It is kinda medium bodied smoke that I think is just great on these. As for the salt I did NOT add any to my mojo because these were "12% solution" butts so I figured it would not need the salt. However I normally do add salt.[p]This mojo was:
    Juice of 1 orange
    Juice of 1 lemon
    Juice of 2 limes
    a couple 3 tablespoons of mexican oregano
    and about 20-25 cloves of garlic.[p]E

• ClayQ,[p]You may not have seen this earlier in the week. Fishlessman did Ribs hi and fast, and I said I was going to try and do that. WessB told me that that defeats the purpose of a low and slo. Which I agreed. But for demonstrative purposes we all agreed that I should do it anyway and document it. Well as it turns out I had to leave during the day. I didn't want the butts to be done before I got back, so I dialed her down to 200 is dome. which really stalled it. I wanted it more at 250, but I wasn't here to see it. I guess if I would have been here it still would have been at 300. LOL[p]What you are reading is my data summary of a failed test.[p]E

• Eggecutioner,
    Nice pictures! I like the little piece of tape above your thermometer. I assume that's a pointer for the target temp? I usually turn the thermometer so that my target temp is at 12 o'clock but after a couple or so beers, it's difficult to tell 12 from 11 or 1. Or maybe it's just early senility. (Right, stike?) Anyhow, the tape would relieve my brain from several beers worth of responsibility.
    Paul

• Eggecutioner,[p]Thanks for the info. I need to try the Mojo. AZ
  • Essex County,[p]Actually the tape is now gone, that is just the tape residue. It it located at 12:00 position though. I too always turn the dial up to the high noon position, ot in my case to the sticky residue...LOL.[p]E
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Essex County,
    'early' senility?[p]hmmm thinking f
    'full-fledged'[p]tell us a story about the first time you saw a plane, gramps. [p]i'll be stopping by today with the elder van to check on your heating system before the cold kicks in.[p]okok enough of that. how's the mini working? and how do you like the small? did a ny strip last night 3 minutes a side. damn good.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    I've done a couple of cooks on the mini, chicken thighs and burgers. Also did a couple on the small, pork tenderloin and steaks. We're thawing a grass-fed chuck roast that'll go on the small in a few hours. I like the small a lot. It works well for the two of us. But the mini is the ultimate challenge. It requires you to design a really efficient meal. Gotta do some steaks on it soon.[p]But the large is really sulking. Idle for over a week and everyone fawning over the little guys.[p]Paul

• bbqdiva
    Hey there Eggecutioner,[p]Thanks a bunch....gonna try that technique :-)[p]bbqdiva
    [ul][li]http://www.bbqdiva.com[/ul]
  • Well the Bigger one pulled like a dream, it had reached 192 and was wiggly. The Smaller one only reached 188 when I pulled it. The bone slid out easily.[p]PA010115.jpg[p]I pulled them both by hand and it was an easy task. Neither one needed to be chopped at all. This is the pic of the one that reached 188 degrees and was not as wiggly.[p]PA010116.jpg[p]I made some more mojo sauce for dinner. Served it on a cheap white bun drizzled some more mojo and some spanish onions. mmmm MMMM mmmm.
    Served it with some vinegar based coleslaw and smashed potatoes.[p]PA010118.jpg

• bbqdiva
    Heya Eggecutioner,[p]Beautiful presentation! I know that's gotta be some delicious pork.[p]Now....a dark woody cabernet, a nice dry white or a blonde lager....that's the question? [p]
    Awesome pics, Thanks[p]bbqdiva

[ul][li]http://www.bbqdiva.com[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Essex county,
    i actually fired up the large the other day, but it was only to burn off the spot of, no kidding, mold.[p]
    the large kinda looks at me dirty every time i go out back, even just to the trash

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante