Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - foil or no foil?

Options
I have a 9.5lb brisket on the egg and has been on since last night at 10:30pm. At 164 degrees now, but don't need it for dinner until 6pm. Would be nice if done by 230pm to go to my sons baseball game though. So....should I foil to push the process or should I be ok with no foil? 

Is foil preferred even when you have time?

Comments

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Options
    167 now so I think I'm past the stall..maybe?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What temp are you cooking?
    I'm not a foil fan so I would probably bump the cooking temp.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tdub4
    Options
    It was 225 overnight but bumped this morning to 250
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you are 250 by your dome gauge I would bump to 275-300
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tdub4
    Options
    250 at the grid, although dome is pretty close to that as well. It's at 171 now.

are you suggesting no foil?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Once you get inside the FTC window ( I aim for 4-5 hours but have gone longer) you have plenty of options.  You've still got a ways to go to declare victory by 2:30 PM.  As mentioned by @Photo Egg you can take it up to around 300*F on the dome all all will be fine.  
    Regarding foil or not etc-give the following a look when you can:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw  
    Try different approaches wth different cooks and see what works for you.
    Edit:  In addition to the texture and flavor differences noted in the above video, if you foil during the cook aka "Texas Crutch" you will definitely speed the cook but you will soften the bark.  Many use butcher paper once the bark as achieved the color and firmness they desire and they want to keep what they have.  Others run nekked all the way to the finish-line.  Depends on the cow and how the cook is progressing.  
    But, always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."  Enjoy the rest of the cook and follow-on eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 on running nekked.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tdub4
    Options
    Well after watching video, next one will be with paper. This one will be nekkeid. 193 now. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The finish-line is the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  Temperature is only a guide.  Patience is the watch-word to bring it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing your results. (hint)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • tdub4
    Options
    Well here is the "before"...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Well after watching video, next one will be with paper. This one will be nekkeid. 193 now. 
    Just remember that he is cooking on a large offset smoker over a live 100% wood fire. This is a totally different cook environment than a Komado cooker. Wrapping won't necessarily produce the same results on your egg as his offset. I dont notice much difference but i do wrap when my bark gets to the color/texture i want. Sometimes i dont need to wrap, sometimes i do. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tdub4
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker - When you don't wrap when do you pull it? Butter test? Temp range?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

tdub4 said:
    Well here is the "before"...

Did you cut all the fat out of the middle or something? Looks like the point is folded out?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here's when you declare victory:  (see above).
    The finish-line is the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  Temperature is only a guide.  Patience is the watch-word to bring it home.  
  • tdub4
    Options
    Most fat was cut out of middle. Realized it when I went to prep. Also just noticed on a video that may be a problem - doh!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tdub4 said:
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker - When you don't wrap when do you pull it? Butter test? Temp range?
    Whether i wrap or not i pull it when i can push a temp probe all the way through top to bottom with very little resistance. Usually 200-205. I never go over 205. If its still not tender at 205 the cow may have won that round. That does not happen often and an hour or so in a cooler usually fixes it.