Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg owner

Options
510BG
510BG Posts: 189
edited September 2017 in EggHead Forum
Always wanted to be an egg owner but the sticker price and lack of sales kept me away. I also live in a town house with no backyard. I was able to purchase a new BGE new in box for 25% off MSRP. The authorized dealer is no longer selling eggs due ace hardware taking all his business. Can't wait to cook on the grill. 

I picked up a used nest and mates. I'm currently in the process of repainring the composite mates

My first choice was to build a rolling table but I don't have the tools and couldn't find anyone to build one for less than $400. 

I plan on extending the grid using the naked whiz guide. 

There's is so much information on this site it's  overwhelming at times. 

Comments

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited September 2017
    Options
    U don't need a back yard to have fun egging. My townhouse only had small yard and patio. I to wanted a table at first but there's was very little room on my patio so I stuck with my nest.  Welcome to the forum start and keep on cookin.    
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We have a very small yard in the city, and we have 2 BGEs. Welcome to the Machine, and say good bye to your savings. The least expensive aspect of owning a BGE, is the initial purchase. It is everything that follows, that gets you.
    Worth every penny. Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    We have a very small yard in the city, and we have 2 BGEs. Welcome to the Machine, and say good bye to your savings. The least expensive aspect of owning a BGE, is the initial purchase. It is everything that follows, that gets you.
    Worth every penny. Have fun.
    What other accessories would you recommend? Plate setter pizza stone.....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.

What follows is a collection of info that may be of use:  

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- As you know, with the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for a Saturday AM.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Welcome!  Enjoy.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC