Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole chicken tonight

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
124_2418.jpg
<p />I did another rotisserie chicken tonight. This time 500ish degrees, modified indirect for one hour. The last 15 mintues, the skin really let loose with the fat and started to crisp. I pulled the bird when the internal was over 170.[p]I got the 500 degree cooking temp from the local Sams and Costco. Both stores cook their birds for 60 to 80 minutes and to an internal temp of 180. The next time I will let it go a tad longer. [p]Dizzy Pig's shaking the tree rubbed under and on top of the skin is fantastic on these birds. [p]Tom

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Hmmm...I have often wondered how to include a motorized rotisserie into the BGE. Although, probably not required jusy seems like a nifty addition. Sooooooo when you say rotisserie are you referring to what that term really means or just the style? If you have truly figured out how to build in a rotisserie into the BGE I would love to see pics.[p]Thanks

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Wow, I've usually stuck with 275-325. I'll have to give that a shot.
    Theres a Spanish marinaded chicken recipe in one of the weber books thats really good where you cut an orange and lemon in half, partially juice them, and stuff them inside the bird.
    I've used the John Henry's chicken tickler rub in conjunction with it, and they came out really good.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    123_2311.jpg
    <p />byc, All I did was build a frame and use aluminum foil for a filler. It leaks, but no worse than my fried gasket. The foil is very forgiving and easy to work with. I've held 225 degrees for most of a Saturday with the rig. After building this one, I have a few ideas to improve it for my medium. I want to try pit beef next, but chicken is quick, easy and so good. [p]
    123_2327.jpg[p]

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Now that is way cool!!! Thanks for sharing!

• Sandbagger
    Options
    eroc, for your safety and your egg's gasket, you need to be careful. 500 degrees with grease should not be taken lightly when flame/fire is involved. t

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Holy smokes! Your full of surprises.

• SkyRider
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Saw your gospel bird done @ 500 for an hour...looks like you threaded the needle this time....will be trying this tonite per your instructions, but will be using manual rotisserie...you didn't mention what kind of beer you marinated yourself with...........H.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    vodka lemonade's......in honor of the lemon I stuffed the bird with.....T