Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rosh Hashanah!

Options
My wife's family celebrates all the Jewish holidays and I get to cook all the meat. I typically do brisket in an electric smoker. This holiday will be my large BGE first! I need to do the cook over the weekend we will eat Wednesday. What would hold up to be reheated best? Beef Ribs, or Brisket? What's the max of each for the large?

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    If you have a SV either will heat up just fine. If not I'd vote for ribs reheated over brisket but that's mostly because I have no clue what I'm doing with a brisket, yet. Post up the cook if you get a chance. Welcome to the forum. Endless knowledge here. 
    Snellville, GA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have done a brisket all the way to done, wrapped it in plastic wrap then two layers of foil, then let it cool a little while before putting it in the fridge. When ready to eat set the oven to 300 and leave it wrapped up.  You want it to be 140 before you slice and serve.  Not sure how long it will take, depends on how big it is.   You could go 350 as well just keep an eye on the temp.  Pull let rest a few minutes and slice.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Don't think I'd be putting plastic wrap in the oven...
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My votes for brisket, but I have no experience reheating beef ribs. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    isnt jewish brisket usually braised, a braised brisket is a good reheat compared to a low and slow
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Brisket.  The ultimate Jewish soul food....
  • MrA46221
    Options
    Yes probably braised is tradition. But they are not practicing or orthodox. I get lots of liberty!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    MrA46221 said:
    Yes probably braised is tradition. But they are not practicing or orthodox. I get lots of liberty!
    i just am not a fan of reheated beef unless its something like potroast but if i was to do this i would be looking for a good bone marrow au jus sauce, something with intense beefy flavor to serve with the reheated brisket

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Speaking as someone who is also cooking for Rosh Hashanah, I would not smoke a brisket days in advance.  A traditional braised brisket is much better suited to cooking in advance.  If you want to use the Egg and have any time to cook on Wednesday, consider doing whole chickens (spatch) and cooking on Wednesday -- much shorter cook time than brisket, and you can prep them the night before.  
    Options
    Gonna party like it's 5777!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes