Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Peppers

Thought I would ask here since this everyone here is so helpful.  My wife plants tons of pepper plants in the spring.  I have a ton of peppers now and I am not really sure what to do with them before they go bad.  I have lots of jalapenos, banana peppers, some bell peppers and some I don't even know what they are.  Does anyone have any methods of storing them for future waste. I usually give them to the guys here at work.  SWMBO wants to keep more this  year since she likes to eat the hot stuff.  Me, not so much.  Thanks in advance. 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    mrs wages refrigerator pickle recipe makes great candied jalapenos for burger toppings. smoked/dried,i float on top of things like chili or you can grind them up. trying a ferment this year for hot sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited September 2017
    This works great:

Pickled, Peppers, Banana, Canned, Gloria's Chili Peppers

How much is in a peck?------When Peter Piper picked his peck of pickled peppers, he picked the equivalent of 1/4 of a bushel. While no one knows the origin of this word nor how it came to be a unit of measurement, we do know that Peter's peck of pickled peppers amounted to the equivalent of 2 gallons of dry weight, or 10 to 14 pounds.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Cups Yellow Vinegar
    2 Cups Sugar
    1 Large Can Tomato Juice
    Salt to Taste`
    1 Cup Oil
    3 Medium Onions, Chopped
    1 Peck Hot Peppers/Banana Peppers or More
    3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
    Recipe I used:
    2 Cups Apple Cider vinegar
    2 Cups Sugar
    1` 46 Ozs Can Tomato Juice, Hunts
    2 Tbs Salt
    1 Cup Canola Oil
    2-3 Medium Onions
    3 Lbs Hot/Mild Banana Peppers
    3 Tbs Minced Garlic

PROCEDURE:

1. Bring above to a boil and add the peppers.

2. Pack and seal.

3. Leave seeds and veins in pepper.

4. Can be canned whole or shredded.

My Method:

1. Did 2 batches. First one took the peppers, cut off stem and then cut into 1"; rings with seeds and veins. Took onions and cut into 3/4"; pieces. Brought ingredients to a boil and added peppers and onions. Cooked 10 minutes and then placed in jars and did 15 minute water bath. Great

2. Second batch had some liquid left from the first so used it and added just vinegar to bring amount of liquid to original recipe. Took the peppers and onions and ran them thru Food slicer 4mm. Added the peppers and onions to boiling liquid and turned the heat off. Placed in jars and water bathed.

3. Next time will follow the recipe I did first time, just drop the peppers & onions and turn off heat.but slice the peppers and onions in slicer. Like the smaller size. Also will only use 1/2 cup oil.

4th BATCH: 2012/07/23

1. Just did a third batch w/ 1/2 cup oil and everything else same. Mixed peppers and sliced onions in boiling liquid and brought back to a boil. Turned off heat and proceeded to bottle. This batch had 50 ozs liquid left over and original recipe is 80 ozs. Used the left over liquid and made a forth batch, about 20 ozs left this time. Think that a peck for this recipe is actually around 10-12 lbs. Next time will cut the recipe into 1/3's and use 4 lbs peppers.

Yield: 12-14 1/2 Pints

Recipe Type: Condiment

Source
    Source: Gloria, Williams (Lamb Chop), Friend Tom, 2012/05/25

*****************************************little variation:

Pickled, Peppers, Jalapenos, Banana Peppers

INGREDIENTS:
    8-10 Jalapeños, Green
    6-8 Jalapeños, Red
    8-10 Hungarian Yellow Peppers
    1 Medium Vidalia Onion
    1/3 Cup Hot Red Pepper Rings, Oriental in Fish Sauce/Vinegar
    3 Cups Apple Cider Venegar
    3/4 Cup Bread & Butter liquid from a jar
    1/2 Cup Turbindo Sugar
    1 Tsp Black Pepper
    1 Tsp Garlic Powder
    1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
    1 Tsp Pickeling Spices

PROCEDURE:

1. Slice the peppers into 1/4 inch rings. Rinse seed and veins out, Slice onion and place in quart canning jars.

2. Take the vinegar, sugar and spices and bring to a slow boil to dissolve the sugar. Pour over the raw peppers and onion. Seal and place in refrigerator or a dark space for a week or more. Can be hot bathed, but I did not. Refrigerate after opening.

3. Add more vinegar if necessary to cover the peppers in the jar top.

Yield: 2 Quarts

Recipe Type: Condiment

Tips
    Next time will use pints so have some for gifts.

Source
    Source: Richard Howe, 2011/05/18

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    My wife dices a ton up and simply freezes in sandwich size freezer bags.  THey don't take up a lot of space.  After a quick thaw, you can use them as salad toppings, nacho toppings, sauce ingredient, taco bar, stir fry, etc.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Thanks guys.  This forum is better than google.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I give them a rinse and drop in a freezer bag - I've pulled habaneros out of the freezer 2 years later to use in chili - no problem.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I give them a rinse and drop in a freezer bag - I've pulled habaneros out of the freezer 2 years later to use in chili - no problem.
    I agree with John.....freeze them....I have been accumulating peppers all summer to make a big batch of hot sauce.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Agreed.  I freeze them.  Then use them all winter to make chili and salsa.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Here's a link to a thread I ran a couple of days ago; drying the hot ones down to a powder:  FWIW-
    The annual high heat low-temp habanero smoke down
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Same idea as what lousubcap just said.  I poke a few holes in mine and smoke them hole.  Then throughout the year I rehydrate them for cooking, amazing flavor 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208244/dehydrated-hot-chili-peppers-on-the-bge#latest
  • We always chopped them up and spread them out on a cookie sheet.  Put them in the freezer until they freeze, then take them off the sheet and put them in a freezer bag.  That way, they do not stick together in a giant mass.  You can take a few strips out to use when you need them, like in an omelet or something small.
  • Thanks y'all. Never even thought about freezing them. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Pepper vinegar is fantastic too.  We get a bunch of these bottles, fill with boiling water, stick a bunch of peppers in, boil apple cider vinegar and some salt together, and pour the vinegar over.  We give them out as gifts, great way to add some heat to greens, salads, etc.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD