Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I knew I Forgot Something

News2u
News2u Posts: 335
edited September 2017 in Off Topic
Got back from Atlanta today after trying since Friday to outrun Irma. Only real damage to the homestead -- the byproduct of my own forgetfulness. Seems I left the XL's umbrella rather exposed:

Crazy footnote. By the time what was left of Irma did what it did to Atlanta as a significantly weakened storm, 1 million were left without power ... including us when power went out at our hotel noon yesterday:
Meanwhile back home in Jacksonville our neighbors kept us apprised of the outage they'd been suffering through since Sunday. Wouldn't you know it, 5 minutes after getting home, we started cleaning out the fridge when the lights came on. Timing is everything.
Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I was on the west coast myself. Sent the wife a copy of the high wind advisory with special instructions to grab the umbrella. Point is sometimes you got to delegate these things. Only kidding of course. Glad that was the extent of the damage. Minor in the big scheme of things. Stay safe.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    News2u said:
    I was on the west coast myself. Sent the wife a copy of the high wind advisory with special instructions to grab the umbrella. Point is sometimes you got to delegate these things. Only kidding of course. Glad that was the extent of the damage. Minor in the big scheme of things. Stay safe.
    Thanks. But upon closer inspection we discovered Irma left a hidden, potentially deadly calling card. I spotted it at the base of the huge live oak leaning over our house. Ground around the root base buckled so bad I almost tripped over it. No choice but to take her down. Tree surgeons coming Friday:
    From this angle you can see how how badly it would obliterate the structure, to say nothing of anyone unlucky enough to be under it at the time.
    Anyway, what difference a day makes. The wife and I finished the clean up just before happy hour:
    Our prayers are with you and all effected by That nasty Irma.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • News2u
    edited September 2017
    More like grin and bear it. :o Here's a better angle showing the extreme lean to the tree:

We are counting the minutes till the tree service gets here.
  • sorry for your loss. stupid question but does the umbrella stain from the smoke?
    ATL
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I like that umbrella stand... what's it called?? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Talk about dodging a bullet.  Wow.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Here's one from my neighborhood in Jax also, not my house thankfully.

Jacksonville FL
  • News2u
    sorry for your loss. stupid question but does the umbrella stain from the smoke?
    I'm glad you asked that. Never noticed any staining. And there are some great water repellent sprays out there that really increase the life of fabric. However, a moot point when the likes of an Irma decide to drop in.
  • News2u

GoooDawgs said:
    I've gone thru a few of them over the years. When I fish it out of the woods I'll check for the manufacturer and get back to you.
  • News2u said:

GoooDawgs said:
    I've gone thru a few of them over the years. When I fish it out of the woods I'll check for the manufacturer and get back to you.
    I really feel for you guys, but this made me chuckle. 
  • News2u
    Dobie said:
    Here's one from my neighborhood in Jax also, not my house thankfully.

Latest word is my tree cutter can't get out till next week cuz he and the rest of the industry are still removing trees off rooftops. When my oak comes down, so will my next-door neighbor's. Between the 2 of us, hard to say who was luckier, and who's on thinner ice while we wait. Big, mossy branch crashed down, just kissing the side of his house; didn't even damage his AC compressor. Meantime check out the cracked trunk halfway up the monster:

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Yikes that's scary but there's been good luck so far, hopefully they get there in time. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • News2u
    Dobie said:
    Yikes that's scary but there's been good luck so far, hopefully they get there in time. 
    Weather right now is cooperating.  We should be fine, as long as Jose doesn't pull a fast one.