Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those interested.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
RTIC has added 2 larger size coolers to their rotomolded cooler line up. A 110 quart and a 145 quart respectively. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great price for the larger size...thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I saw some of the new RTIC tumblers at Buc-ees a few days ago. Nice as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I ordered the 145 quart. Thought it was a great deal compared to others of comparable size. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I ordered the 145 quart. Thought it was a great deal compared to others of comparable size. 
    If I had your money, I would have ordered 5 of the 145's.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SGH
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    If you had my money you would have starved to death decades ago. I'm fairly certain that you have my money confused with someone else's. There is some real high rollers on this forum. Sadly I'm not one of them. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited September 2017
    Options
    SGH said:
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    If you had my money you would have starved to death decades ago. I'm fairly certain that you have my money confused with someone else's. There is some real high rollers on this forum. Sadly I'm not one of them. 
    And monkeys might fly out of my ass 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Someone on here has more tractors than I have cars. And I have 5 cars. I will say 3 of those are sh!t piles (young drivers). This person's best tractor is probably worth more than all 5 of my cars put together. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Someone on here has more tractors than I have cars. And I have 5 cars. I will say 3 of those are sh!t piles (young drivers). This person's best tractor is probably worth more than all 5 of my cars put together. 
    Since when did Ron start collecting tractors?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I concur my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• tjosborne
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    dmchicago said:
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I concur my friend. 

middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Is it the persons farm equipment or a collection? Context matters, farm equipment is a business asset, collection is more like actual wealth.

Like the Rtic's, still have a hard time dropping that much on a cooler even if it's significantly less than other brands.  What do you guys use your's for so much that makes it worth it?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    @FarmingPhD Beer. Camping. FTCing. Tailgating. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @FarmingPhD - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    @lousubcap -thanks, I've been lurking around here for well over a year and finally made an account..... and probably sounded over serious on my first post- sorry cen-Tex.
  • SGH
    Options
    FarmingPhD said:
    What do you guys use your's for so much that makes it worth it?
    Great question. To some degree it's certainly hard to justify the price of a rotomolded cooler simply at face value. However they certainly have their place.
    For instance, not everyone has a home generator. During power outages the rotomolded coolers can be a real life saver. When properly packed, some of them can keep food cool up to 10 days if they are not opened often. They can keep ice beyond this if they are not opened at all until needed. I know it's not often that we face these types of circumstances, but it's always good to be prepared. For example, look at Florida right now. I bet there are many folks having to depend on some type of cooler at this very moment. Sadly they may be depending on it for weeks to come. 
    Also my coolers spend a lot of time in the direct sun. Rotomolded coolers hold up much better than traditional coolers to UV rays. Again, this is not a problem for everyone, but it certainly is to some. 
    At the end of the day, not everyone needs a rotomolded cooler. We got bye just fine for centuries without them. However, like a lot of modern convenances, (cell phone, ATM cards) they sure can make life easier at times.  
    And last, but certainly not least, for lot of folks it's not even a need. It's a want. And as you probably already know all to well, sometimes our wants out weigh our needs. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
     I've been lurking around here for well over a year and finally made an account..... 
    Welcome aboard, glad to have you among us my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @SGH, yhanks mucho for the post.   Just might ne what i need for my next trip to mexico....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I ordered one the other day too.  I'm going to strap it to the front of the trailer and only remove it when I'm cooking crawfish.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Is it the persons farm equipment or a collection? Context matters, farm equipment is a business asset, collection is more like actual wealth.

Like the Rtic's, still have a hard time dropping that much on a cooler even if it's significantly less than other brands.  What do you guys use your's for so much that makes it worth it?
    The best reason I have seen is durability.  Guys that hunt, fish or use them for work everyday love them.  Other brands like coleman, igloo, or whatever, seem to break or crack, or you are constantly replacing the hinges or clips because the break with constant use.  With a yeti, RTIC, or rotomolded coolers, the only time you will have to replace them is when they are stolen.  

So in theory, over the life of the cooler, it is actually cheaper than buying replacement coolers or parts every couple of years for high use coolers.

Another good use is long hunting or fishing trips.  If you have a cooler with meat and keep it closed, it makes a big difference on how long you can keep your meat without needing more ice.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • SGH
    edited September 2017
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I ordered one the other day too.  I'm going to strap it to the front of the trailer and only remove it when I'm cooking crawfish.
    Glad to hear you ordered the big one. That's a great idea brother Grim. I was thinking along the same lines. With the big one mounted to the trailer, it would omit the need to haul several smaller ones around. 
    On a seperate note, hope all is well my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I ordered one the other day too.  
    Brother Grim, next year we will be ordering the 250 quart, the year after that the 350 quart, then the 400 quart. It just never seems to end. Oh well, life is short. Might as well enjoy it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    I ordered one the other day too.  
    Brother Grim, next year we will be ordering the 250 quart, the year after that the 350 quart, then the 400 quart. It just never seems to end. Oh well, life is short. Might as well enjoy it. 
    I think this will be as big as I ever go. We'll see. But I can't imagine ever being willing to wrestle with anything bigger unless it's already built into a boat or something.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    I think this will be as big as I ever go. 
    So there is no chance of me talking you into a 1,100 quart :D

Icey Tec 1,110 quart. I wonder how many briskets would fit in there =)

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That looks like the perfect cooler for disaster relief work.  If only we knew somebody who does that sort of thing...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That looks like the perfect cooler for disaster relief work.  If only we knew somebody who does that sort of thing...
    Brother Horn, it would be very useful for that sort of thing. The biggest problem with it would be trying to load it on a truck or trailer if you did not have a tractor or forklift. There is no telling what it would weigh loaded down. It's a handful empty. But you are correct, it would be great for that sort of thing. 

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
    Brother Horn, it would be very useful for that sort of thing. The biggest problem with it would be trying to load it on a truck or trailer if you did not have a tractor or forklift. There is no telling what it would weigh loaded down. It's a handful empty. But you are correct, it would be great for that sort of thing. 
    Yeah, it would probably take both of us to lift that thing when it's fully loaded.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Anyone interested in a soft side, they are 25% off for the next 5 days. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @lousubcap -thanks, I've been lurking around here for well over a year and finally made an account..... and probably sounded over serious on my first post- sorry cen-Tex.
    You are going to have to try a lot harder than that if you are going to Feel like you need to appologize to me. Welcome aboard. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    We had one down there at OBR. Was definitely a valuable asset to have. We had "sonic" ice in this one and it kept it perfect for the days I was there. Definitely a fork lift type situation with that one.